FORUMS: list search recent posts

CPUZ Ram question on Tyan 5000

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sstachiw
CPUZ Ram question on Tyan 5000
on Feb 2, 2007 at 5:44:04 pm

This kind of goes with my other post, but for some reason CPU-Z isn't showing my full RAM. When yoiu view the Memory tab, it only show I have 2 GB. When I boot up or check BIOS, the board recognizes all 4 GB. Also, when I look at the SPD tab in CPU-Z, it says I am running at 330mhz, but the chip is a 667. What's going on here?

Oh, I almost forgot, when I change to slot #2, 3 or 4 on the SPD tab, it says the slots are empty! Any ideas?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: CPUZ Ram question on Tyan 5000
on Feb 2, 2007 at 8:16:19 pm

Your motherboard may recognize 4 GB of RAM, but Windows XP won't, as its kernel is designed to recognize a total 4 GB address space including the hardware address space. How much of the 4 GB is assigned to hardware is a function of your video card and bios. Up until your system, the lowest fully-populated RAM allocation I had personally seen was 2.5 GB, but that was before dual SLI graphics cards with 512 MB of RAM each. The net result is that it's quite possible that your Windows XP system can only address 2 GB of your system RAM. The rest of the address space is allocated to hardware.

The Vista kernel uses a different addressing scheme, so it should be able to address all 4 GB of RAM, but you may have other compatibility issues with Vista.

Return to posts index

sstachiw
on Feb 2, 2007 at 9:40:59 pm

Thanks John, your answer completly makes sense. Actually, when I look at the System Icon using Windows, it recognizes 3 GB of Ram. But when I run CPU-Z, that is when it only shows 2 GB. And I still can't figure out for the life of me why CPU-Z is saying my Ram/system Bus is only running at 330mhz. Nor do I understand why it only recognizes one bank of Ram out of 4.

I was hoping one of the video guys would run CPU-Z on the system that they built using the same Tyan board that I used. Especially because they also used 4 Kingston 1 GB sticks of RAM. If they get the same results I won't feel so bad. Smile

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 3, 2007 at 3:46:57 am

Sounds like it's a problem with CPU-Z, a utility that I'm not familiar with. Older versions of the Premiere installer were compiled so they would recognize memory above 2 GB as though they were missing the first 2 GB, i.e. 2.5 GB turned into 512 MB. As soon as you removed some memory, you could install the program.

I'd trust the usable memory report from Windows.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 8, 2007 at 12:25:29 am

R U using XP Pro vs home? I assume so.
the CPU-Z software may need updating to recognize all the memory, and bus speed as previously mentioned.
what is max for each slot? did you surpass that? Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

You might have to manually enter your Ram's voltage, CAS, RAS, etc.. just in case it isn't running at it's fullest potential speed... but it might just be CPU-Z not working right. Double check your BIOS has the correct speed/setting for the CPU.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]