FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommendation please....

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ojelela
Recommendation please....
on Feb 2, 2007 at 5:07:01 am

Hi

I'm new here and to video editing, so can someone please recommend what sys to buy (Intel or amd) and what components (all 9 yards) so I will be able to do real time editing. I know there is 100's posts and reviews on it but more I read more I get confused Surprised ops: and trust me I'm to a point that I know less now then when I started o read abut it. I'm thinking about dual core 64bit Vista based sys??

My budget is $1500 for sys alone so if you can help me decide which way to go.. like processor, MB, HD............

Thanks in advance

Marco

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Recommendation please....
on Feb 2, 2007 at 8:20:46 pm

You can think about 64-bit dualcore Vista, but it will probably be 6 months to a year before the video editing applications and drivers will be updated to run on that system.

Return to posts index

ojelela
on Feb 3, 2007 at 1:12:07 am

John Q: You can think about 64-bit dualcore Vista, but it will probably be 6 months to a year before the video editing applications and drivers will be updated to run on that system.

Ok, but what do I do in meantime...........

Return to posts index

sstachiw
on Feb 3, 2007 at 6:09:22 pm

You can still build or purchase a computer that is Vista/64 bit ready. Be sure the motherboard, video card and processors support 64 bit. Just have windows XP 32 installed. That way, when the drivers all come out, you can just spend the $200 on Vista and reinstall windows.

Return to posts index

ojelela
on Feb 4, 2007 at 12:29:03 am

Ok I'm kind of leaning to building something like the sys explained in DIY 5 http://www.videoguys.com/DIY5.html. Now since it cost pretty penny that I'm willing to spent if it will give me real time editing and won't be run over by cheaper AMD in few months( if not already).One thing I would go with E6600.Second thing I'm not sure if Asus - P5W DH Deluxe MB is quad core ready so down the road I don't have t replace it to??
Also my question is about memory, if I take only 1 GB will I be able to have real time editing or I absolutely must have 2GB??
So if you have any suggestions or changes you would do to that sys yourself to make it cheaper and still fast please feel free to suggest what to do...

Thanks

Marco

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 4, 2007 at 2:20:55 am

Initial test results show that quadcore is not significantly faster than dualcore for video applications, which is what I personally would have expected. When I built my dual Athlon system years ago, I ran tests of single versus dual processors then and found that a single processor was cpu bound and dual processors couldn't use 100% of their capability, because they became I/O bound, waiting for the disc drive. For now, dualcore is the sweet spot. This may change in the future, but systems that currently are very cpu intensive, like After Effects, currently improve performance by doing network coprocessing, adding additional complete cpu/hard drive systems, and not by adding extra cpu's.

Adding more memory is the most cost effective upgrade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]