FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony hdr- V1u

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dfishon
Sony hdr- V1u
on Jan 31, 2007 at 7:29:19 am

Just got it !! Great camera however.. ive heard some whispers about it being sub par in low light??? any truth to this??? any tips??

Just learning the ropes !!!

Thanks

Return to posts index

sstachiw
low light
on Feb 2, 2007 at 4:18:06 pm

I too was looking intently on purchasing this camera, but since I do a lot of wedding videography without extra lights, I have decided to wait. Because the CMOS chips are only 1/4" they have less surface area to capture light. The smaller, 62mm, lens doesn't help the situation either.

But, the only real way to tell is to challenge the camera. Place it in a dark setting, say a 12'x12' room with a single 60watt light bulb in the middle. Then put the camera on a tripod and shoot some wide angle and zoom shots of some books on a table. First set the camera to auto mode. Then manually set the iris to full open (F1.6?) and the shutter to 1/30 and the gain to 0. Then change the gain to its highest setting (18db?). Then compare the images. If you want, I would be happy to do the same with my Z1U and we can compare to see what kind of difference, if any, there is.

Return to posts index

Ronbo1
Re: Sony hdr- V1u
on Nov 12, 2007 at 5:17:04 pm

I have two of these cams I use for weddings my clients love the movies they make. I would suggest that you limit the gain to 6db shoot in 1080i and you will be happy with the picture.

I find that testing in the actual room works best so I go to the rehearsal and test my setup. You could always go to church Sunday and take your cam and shoot some video to test the picture.

After you have been using this cam for a wile and get the feel for it you will love it. By the way my wife shoots all of my B-roll in auto mode and in most cases her footage is as good as mine.

I have done eight weddings with the V1s and I just get better and better with this cam.

I also shot a national TV spot for a new energy drink with the V1 my client loved it. But that is a very different setup.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]