FORUMS: list search recent posts

hard drive performance boost?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jackfalbey
hard drive performance boost?
on Jan 6, 2007 at 7:24:59 pm

Ok, I'm a beginner filmmaker with the goal of eventually going pro. Before I shell out for a dedicated workstation, I want to learn the basics on my current system, which is also my home PC and gaming rig:

Dell Dimension 8400
Win XP Home
P4 3.0/HT
2.5gb RAM (2x1gb, 2x256mb)
256mb ATI x800xl
320gb RAID0 - system drive
250gb SATA 7200 - backup drive
Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0

1) Would it make a big difference in performance if I copied the system drive to the 250, switched the master/slave settings and set up the RAID as a dedicated video storage drive?

2) Can this be done with Norton Ghost 10?

3) Is it worth the trouble to do this?

Thanks for any help on this and any other tips are welcome.

Jack

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: hard drive performance boost?
on Jan 7, 2007 at 4:42:09 pm

If you want to use the same computer for both everyday web surfing / day-to-day stuff AND as a NLE...

May I suggest picking up a 250GB drive to match your other 250GB drive, and turn that into a RAID 0 video and data storage. (ie 500GB RAID)

Convert your present day RAID 0 to 2 separate OS drives. One drive strictly for NLE, and the other drive has the same OS install, but you use that for every day use.
keep your side panel off and just connect/ disconnect drives as needed. (2 computers in one)(SATA connectors make this so easy)

PS it gets a bit dustier this way, but a lot easier to check the dust collection.

and I don't know if Ghost can transfer hidden files found in windows OS. I always do a fresh re-install when updating things.

Return to posts index

jackfalbey
on Jan 8, 2007 at 2:29:57 am

That's a great idea. Thanks Lee. Some questions though... can I use the same license of XP Home on 2 separate drives or will that cause some sort of conflict where Microsoft thinks the copy is an unlicensed one, like when I use Windows Update and the website checks the validation? Also, if I do copy the OS and use the 2 separate system drives as you suggest, couldn't I just use the "dual boot" feature in XP, selecting which drive I want at startup, or does that only work with 2 different OSs?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jan 8, 2007 at 3:49:51 pm

I have used the same license (key code) since it is identical hardware. MS & XP doesn't know the difference. Just activate and skip the register. It will be seen a just a re-install.

Well I have never tried the dual boot. I always thought that was for running different OSs like Linux & Windows. Maybe someone else can answer that.
But once I install Windows for my NLE and install all the NLE programs... and everything is running fine. I never update windows because most updates are to fix security holes when using the internet and since I am using the computer strictly for NLE, it never is online (except for an occasion activation or necessary update)
I have no anti virus, no firewall (router does), never connected to internet unless I plug it in, nothing but NLE software.

If you do the dual boot, tell us how it works... But I think you increase your risk of a virus jumping partitions and infecting you when in the NLE setup.

Return to posts index

MKREdit
on Jan 10, 2007 at 5:17:21 pm

The last time I did a dual boot was with XP and 2000 but I do know there is a hierarchy when it comes to dual booting installs. This means that the latest OS must be the last one installed. Make sure when you do the installs that you don't take any windows updates until after you have completed both installations.

When using Ghost it will take a complete image of the drive you are copying including hidden system files. If you do the dual boot system you wouldn't be able to install windows once ghost it then restore it to the other partition because when you create a dual boot setup information is written to the boot.ini file. If you go with the 2 drive setup you could use ghost to create the image of the first installation and restore that image to the second drive then install whatever you need to install on the corresponding drive.

Do not use ghost on the RAID array its unreliable also avoid optical media. Use a USB drive before you begin boot up on the ghost CD and make sure you can navigate to the USB drive that you are going to use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]