FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 0 Woes

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chustace
RAID 0 Woes
on Jan 5, 2007 at 4:28:20 pm

Dear All:

I have just put together a DIY 5 System using the P5WDG2 WS Pro Asus MB. I am having problems with the set up for RAID 0. I have one primary drive a 250 GB drive, and two Identical Hitachi 400 gb drives.

I follow the instructions, In bios I set the IDE Config to RAID, then I reboot, and hit cntrl I to get to the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option, and set up my last two drives as a raid 0 stripping mode. Exit, reboot, and now it won't boot up windows that was installed on the initial boot drive.

What am I doing wrong. In the BIOS it is showing my boot drive as the primary boot drive.

Suggestions??

Curtis

p.s. If I go back and remove the RAID drives, it boots up fine. ??

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: RAID 0 Woes
on Jan 5, 2007 at 7:53:53 pm

i sent a pm too, but here's my response:

something similar actually happened to me when i was setting up the raid in the diy5 machine. check your manual and see if there's another RAID controller or a jumper on the mobo you can use (or change if its a jumper). let me know if that works.

- Jon

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 5, 2007 at 7:57:02 pm

Try creating a software RAID using the Windows XP Disk Manager. Most benchmark testing has shown that this is as fast or even faster than a simple hardware RAID.

Return to posts index

chustace
on Jan 8, 2007 at 8:35:13 pm

I am a bit perplexed. This shouldn't be this hard. LOL Famous last words. I put the two 400 GB identical drives on the Marvel bus. The Marvel bus recognizes them, I go into the Marvel utility and configure a RAID 0 set up on array one. then the computer reboots and it won't fire up windows. I unplug the two drives and window fires up normally. What am I doing wrong. I can't figure it out. I go back in to the Marvell utility and delete the array, and reboot, I get a blank screen. I go in and unplug the the two drives, it boots. fine. I am going to try o0ne more thing, but I am at a loss.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Jan 8, 2007 at 8:59:19 pm

maybe one of the drives is defective? can you connect them individually on the regular SATA controller without a problem?

- Jon

Return to posts index

chustace
on Jan 8, 2007 at 9:26:03 pm

jon_videoguys: maybe one of the drives is defective? can you connect them individually on the regular SATA controller without a problem?

- Jon

Good thought, window recognizes them both and has no problems with them. <---- scratches head.

Curtis

Return to posts index

chustace
on Jan 8, 2007 at 11:46:50 pm

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your help. I have found there is a simple answer to everything. I have found there is a simple answer to EVERYTHING you do!! This is the case with my situation. AFTER I re-installed Windows, and inserted the ASUS drivers and installed them (including the Marvell Bus drivers) I pluged the two drives into the Marvel bus and everything happened the SAME way. Razz Then I restarted the computer and went into the BIOS, selected the ADVANCED tab, And TURNED OFF the Marvell RAID BOOT function under the Marvell Raid section. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but that is basically what it said. I Booted up the computer, Windows started fine. On the Desktop there wsa the MarvellMRU (where the driver install put it). I opened it, low and behold my drives were there, I set up the RAID, And formated them via windows drives manager. HOW EASY IS THAT!!!

You learn something new every day.

Thx. guys

Curtis

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Jan 9, 2007 at 4:05:11 pm

glad you got it taken care of. let us know how everything works when you have it all setup.

- Jon

Return to posts index

Peterbilt
on Feb 25, 2007 at 2:40:48 am

Hi,

I was browsing your forums for some help on my situation and came across this post. It looks as if I'm in the same predicament that Curtis was in.

I installed Windows XP pro on a 250 Gig Maxtor drive, planning on using it for my boot drive. I also have two 400 Gigs that I wanted to set up with Raid 0, but there weren't enough SATA cables coming from my power supply. So I thought it would be easy enough to strip them together after set up. Well, now with power to the drives, I'm stuck with a computer that doesn't boot when I switch the drive configuration to "Raid" in the Bios.

My question is, is there a simple way to set up Raid 0 with the 400 gigs without reinstalling the OS? If I do reinstall the OS, will it erase the 250 GB drive and require me to start over?

I would appreciate the help. This is my first attempt at Raid and my first DIY system.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Gary
by
on Feb 26, 2007 at 1:14:05 pm

I posted this info earlier, but this thread was getting more response, so I have reposted here. Everyone seems to be having a similar problem, though my Mobo is a P5W DH Deluxe. I have set the jumpers to RAID 0 on the Mobo. And I can create the RAID 0 with my two HDD. But like everyone else I get rebooted. Or my BIOS does not recognize my HDD when set to RAID. Here are my original comments.

I have tried every combination I can think of and followed the Mobo user guide as best I could. Still, when I create a RAID0 in the Intel Matrix with an additional boot drive in SATA1 the system will not boot to WinXP. It gets as far as the login screen and automatically reboots. I have tried talking with ASUS and they act as if I am an idiot. I have always had good service from ASUS tech support but this time around they are downright testy with me.
Anyway, so far, the only way I can get my system to boot is to set the BIOS to standard IDE. If I set it to RAID it will not boot, either asking me to reboot and select proper boot device or rebooting on its own.
There is also a brief display saying that say "Detect Drives Done--No any drives detected" {sic} that appears during post whether the drives are listed in the BIOS or not, and even when system boots in standard IDE.
I have tried the EZ-RAID connectors with similar results.
I would really appreciate some direction at this point. Be happy to give you more info. But this should get the discussion going. Thanks.

So right now I am leaving well enough alone with Standard IDE and everything is in good order. Now my question is whether it is going to be worth the trouble to continue trying to set the RAID 0? An awful lot of time is being wasted right now. Thanks.
Gary

Return to posts index

Peterbilt
on Mar 5, 2007 at 9:11:12 pm

Well, I'll share with you what ended up working for me. I did a repair install of windows in Raid mode (set in the Bios) with the F6 installation of the raid driver.

Return to posts index

shahzadmasih
on Mar 15, 2007 at 1:50:51 pm

Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Return to posts index

Peterbilt
on Mar 15, 2007 at 6:29:58 pm

What kind of specific information are you looking for?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]