FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY5 - How do I set up raid 0 on PATA/IDE drives P5W HD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Blakewood
DIY5 - How do I set up raid 0 on PATA/IDE drives P5W HD
on Dec 28, 2006 at 4:42:18 pm

I am a newbie at this but I am setting up a system following the DIY5 recommendations very closely. My only problem is that I can not figure out how to set up the raid 0 configuration using the HITACHI drives (Deskstar T7K250 HDT722525DLAT80 (0A31611) 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive).

I have read through the ASUS documentation several times. Most of their raid information is about SATA drives. It would probably have been much easier to install SATA but I wanted to follow the DIY5 recommendations very closely and I think I purchased the recommended drives (please tell me if this is not correct).

Hate to be so stupid...but here are specific questions:
1) recommended physical connection (I have tried all the asus MB IDE connections - except the floppy disk controller).
2) jumper settings (it's unclear to me which of the asus jumper sets will be used in this config)
3) what BIOS settings are needed to support this config?
3) which software to use (i.e., Win XP pro alone or with EZ backup, JM RAID, etc.)

I will also be posting this question on the ASUS site. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Ben

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: DIY5 - How do I set up raid 0 on PATA/IDE drives P5W HD
on Dec 28, 2006 at 8:00:25 pm

Ummm Ben I think Asus doesn't build new MOBOs with PATA channels that RAID anymore. I hope your HDDs were not new.

Intel and other chip manufactures are phasing out designs for PATA channeled HDDs. I don't personally know this MOBOs ports, but I suspect you'll find one IDE port for your CD/DVD drive and the rest are SATA ports.

I don't recommend purchasing any new HDDs that are PATA. SATA is the way to go.
Now if you have old hard drives you want to use for your new system and they are PATA.... go buy a PATA/IDE RAID card for cheap. OR in your case you now own these PATA HDDs and you'll need an PATA/IDE RAID card.

I hope this helps
FYI... An owner of this MOBO might correct me since I lack an owner's manual or a picture of this board.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on Dec 29, 2006 at 2:32:28 pm

correct, the P5W DH motherboard does not have IDE raid, just SATA RAID. You will need to swap those drives out for SATA drives instead of the IDE you have.

- Jon

Return to posts index

Ben Blakewood
on Dec 30, 2006 at 12:25:35 am

Thanks... I have ordered the SATA disks. NewEgg provided me with a no-charge change of these devices even though this was my mistake.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]