FORUMS: list search recent posts

New System Specs, Input please

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chustace
New System Specs, Input please
on Dec 20, 2006 at 3:46:25 pm

I am thinking about building a new system I am running an AMD 4800+ with ATI cards. I have just installed AVID XPress, and have had some problems with the ATI video cards. So what I think I should do is build dedicated machine! My wife is gonna kill me! LOL Below are a few specs for your purusal. Which do you think would work best? Do you think I should do something different. I would like to keep the $$ down to the minium if possible.
Thx.

SYSTEM 1
APEVIA (ASPIRE) MX-PLEASURE-AL Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case ATX 500W dual fan w/ automatic fan speed control

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

OCZ S.O.E 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model OCZ2SOE8001G (2 gigs total)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000KDRTL 400GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - Retail (video drive)

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2000JB 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM (System Drive)

PNY VCQFX1400-PCIE-PB Quadro FX1400 128MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Subtotal: $1,295.93

SYSTEM 2

APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Navigator ATXA9NW-BL/500 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 500W daul 12V (Ver. 2.03) Power Supply -

ASUS P5LD2 R2.0 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

OCZ S.O.E 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2SOE6672GK - Retail

PNY VCQFX1400-PCIE-PB Quadro FX1400 128MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000KDRTL 400GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JB 160GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

Subtotal: $1,664.92

SYSTEM 3
I am not sure about this system as far as the configuration, I am unfamiliar with Xeon processors.

Thermaltake Damier V5000C Blue 1.0 mm SECC Chassis Aluminum made Front Door Modern Tower Xaser V Damier Computer Case - Retail

SUPERMICRO X6DAL-G Dual Socket mPGA604 Intel E7525 ATX Server Motherboard - Retail

PNY VCQFX560-PCIE-PB Quadro FX560 128MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail

Intel Xeon 5060 Dempsey 3.2GHz Socket 771 Active or 1U Processor Model BX805555060A - Retail

Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory Model KVR333X64C25/1G - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM

SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM

Subtotal: $1,992.87

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: New System Specs, Input please
on Dec 20, 2006 at 10:10:44 pm

First of all if you have a problem, be sure to update all your drivers for your NLE software and video card... along with sound card, etc...

If that doesn't fix it (your free fix) then just buy a new video card that is compatible. I would only suggest building a new computer if you plan to edit videos for a living.

If you don't edit for a living... I would suggest getting a separate OS hard drive, for yourself, w/ only NLE software loaded (of course windows, too) and just connect it up when you plan to edit. And separate HDD for clips.

Return to posts index

chustace
on Dec 21, 2006 at 1:03:51 am

[quote="LeeAVP"]First of all if you have a problem, be sure to update all your drivers for your NLE software and video card... along with sound card, etc...

If that doesn't fix it (your free fix) then just buy a new video card that is compatible. I would only suggest building a new computer if you plan to edit videos for a living.

If you don't edit for a living... I would suggest getting a separate OS hard drive, for yourself, w/ only NLE software loaded (of course windows, too) and just connect it up when you plan to edit. And separate HDD for clips.[/quote

Actually, I do do this for a living. I am a photographer primarily, but have been working in video for the last 20 years. NOW, what I have done in the past is hire the video crew and editing post production facilities. But with the advent of great technology, I am doing this in a very nice, cozy studio. I have been using Liquid 7 for over a year (progressed from version 6). I just needed to go to the next level of production! Thus the purchase of XPress. If I build another machine, I would keep this machine for all my day to day stuff (billing, email photoshop etc etc.) I would then build a new machine for NLE only. I think this is probably the best bet. I can go ahead and purchase the Video Card and then put it in the new machine when I build it. I think it is important to have a dedicated machine don't you? I mean from a standpoint of background applications taking up CPU power, possible virus infection from emails, etc indangering your video projects.

Just thinking out loud, Thx for your input. I found your DIY5 project ( http://www.videoguys.com/DIY5.html) and am following those guidelines.

Thx.

Curtis

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Dec 21, 2006 at 1:35:55 am

Sorry, I had no idea you were doing it for a living... but when you read "I just installed express" "my wife is going to kill me" " should I build a dedicate machine" I just assumed, hobbyist.

Yes go with DYI 5.

FYI I run Photoshop on my NLE. You might transfer that over when you have it built.

Return to posts index

chustace
on Dec 21, 2006 at 2:05:10 am

LeeAVP: Sorry, I had no idea you were doing it for a living... but when you read "I just installed express" "my wife is going to kill me" " should I build a dedicate machine" I just assumed, hobbyist.

Yes go with DYI 5.

FYI I run Photoshop on my NLE. You might transfer that over when you have it built.

Yes, She does all my books and she sees how much I am spending!! LOL I make it back 10 fold, but she can get pretty tight with the $$ when she wants too, especially around Christmas! Smile LOL

Thx.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]