FORUMS: list search recent posts

storage for a two hour movie

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
besonen
storage for a two hour movie
on Dec 20, 2006 at 6:52:45 am

i have a client that wants to produce a two hour movie. i'll be helping him to purchase hardware for the project.

assume we are generating 13 gigs per hour and that there will be 20 hours of raw footage.

given that i personally haven't produced a two hour movie, what kind of storage requirements might we anticipate? i'm assuming that throughout the editing process we'll be making incremental backups of the project.

this client pays significant attention to detail so there are likely to be a few versions of this project that will need to be stored on the storage unit.

if there is any other information you need to come up with an estimate of how much storage space we'll want to procure, say so and i'll post the information.

thanks,
david

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: storage for a two hour movie
on Dec 20, 2006 at 9:55:22 pm

For shooting: I personally would use DV Rack while shooting. Then copy over the clips I plan to use to my RAID. (and delete the useless clips) And use the original hard drive as a back up, and keep it in a safe place.

I would use 3-4 160GB drives w/ DV Rack (if shooting SD)

For NLE: Internal or External RAID for all the clips you plan to use. Figure on 4- 250 Gig HDDs in Raid 5. The only thing I would backup is my project file, since your clips will be safe on a RAID 5 system or if a virus kills your RAID then you still have the clips on the original hard drives..

For HDV I suggest doubling the Gig totals.

my 2 cents, but I have never produced a 2 hour "movie", but I have produced 2 hr videos.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]