FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video card for Core 2 Duo

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JD8360
Video card for Core 2 Duo
on Dec 18, 2006 at 3:19:42 pm

I am going to build a system along the lines of your DIY5 Core 2 Duo build because at its foundation is the latest technology. However I am confused about video cards. I have read the video card article but to me it is geared for the higher end editors. I am going to start with Premiere Elements or maybe Pinnacle Studio. I want to keep the cost of the system down where I can and spending $300 on a video card that is probably over kill is not what I want to do. Can anyone suggest a card that will meet the requirements of the lower end editors?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Video card for Core 2 Duo
on Dec 19, 2006 at 1:54:50 am

Pick any card with 128-256MB that support Open GL and DirectX 9.

Premiere Elements does not use the video card for much more than displaying.
I think Pinnacle Studio uses the the processor on the graphic card to render real time effects.. so you may need a better card for pinnacle.

In short any modern ATI or NVidea card should work fine.

$100-150 card should be fine like a Radeon X800.

I suggest spend enough money to purchase a modern card that will work with Vista, have dual DVI out, will do higher resolution on DVI out, like 1920x1200. (in a few years the standard size LCD will be 22"wide or 24" wide.)

Return to posts index

GrimReaper
What video card to replace the ATI Radeon X1900XX 512MB
on Dec 20, 2006 at 12:06:07 am

I am planning to use the same guide to build a new system and find that the ATI Radeon X1900XX 512MB are hard to find. I am probably going to run Studio, but may at some point use Liquid.

What video card would you suggest?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Video card for Core 2 Duo
on Dec 20, 2006 at 3:19:03 am

Videoguy has an article on what cards to use with what NLE programs.
http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html

FYI some stores like CompUSA have open box specials. I just saw a nice card from ATI for under $120.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]