FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Delivery - SD DVD or nothing?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Schreibman
HD Delivery - SD DVD or nothing?
on Dec 15, 2006 at 8:21:30 pm

It's great that we have HD cameras (such as Canon A1) and good software to edit on, but how do we delivery HD finished products?
From what I have seen and read, the only media for delivery that would allow HD is BLU-RAY.
So, am I correct in determining that we can shoot and edit in HD, but we have to deliver in conventional SD media such as DVD's for present.
If so, are the SD DVD's that are delivered of a higher picture quality of the event is shot in HD and edited in Premiere PRO or VEGAS 7 ?

BTW - which is better? PREMIERE PRO 2.0 or VEGAS 7? Since I need a new computer, I might as well get the best software.

Return to posts index

sstachiw
Many Questions, Many Answers
on Feb 2, 2007 at 4:10:13 pm

There are currently many ways to distribute HD content. HD-DVD, BluRay are the highest quality and will be the most available formats in the next two years. They are also, right now, the most costly. The less expensive ways of distributing are using the WMV-HD, DIVX-HD and MPEG2-TS codecs.

We use the Avel Linkplayer series of DVD players to play 25mbs .m2t HDV files right from a DVD disc. Of course, you are limited to about 15 minutes of video. For larger projects, we distribute using the WMV9 HD codec. It creates a surprisingly good HD image on a SD DVD.

Any computer with Windows Media Player can play the WMVHD files. Just be carefull as to how you encode. 1080p files will not play on slow machines.

If you shoot, edit in HD an then render your final project in SD, you will still have a much better image than if you shot in SD and Edited in SD. But to reach a larger audience, doing an HD edit and distribution on SD DVD is the best way right now.

I learned on PP 1.5 and switched to Vegas 5 almost 2 years ago. I love Vegas. I will never go back. Currently using V6 with no intention of V7. Premiere does have better text tools, but I do most of my text overlays and graphics in Photoshop first anyway.

Hope that helps.

-Scott

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]