COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NoTx
New System for Vegas 7 + Borris + Cinescore
by
on Dec 14, 2006 at 9:36:39 pm

Hey all,

Well I have gone through some DIY articles.. but I still had questionsSmile

I am looking at building a machine for Vegas and either Boris Red or FX/Graffiti. I was wondering if I could get some quick questions answered that go a little outside the box.

First I was wondering if anyone new the optimum RAM for these applications on XP? And if they would be compatible with XP64.

Second, I was looking into a raid, and wondering on the thoughts of utilizing a single SATA II array with more spindles, say 3 – 5, versus breaking it up and using a separate boot, and separate work space. Three would be bigger drives, five would be smaller. I am looking for maximum speed.

I was wondering on thoughts on video cards. Would using a simple dual head Quadro4 NVS 285 PCIE be a mistake (it is available for next to nothing through a provider I use)? Or should I spring for the FX1400 ? Or should I try and jump up even higher? What kind of performance hit would I be looking at?

And lastly… CPU. Are these aps multi core aware, or should I look at the fastest single core I can get? I know that sometimes the dual cores and quad cores actually slow things down…

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: New System for Vegas 7 + Borris + Cinescore
on Dec 14, 2006 at 11:51:57 pm

RAM is RAM... but I buy better RAM recommended for gamers. So I can overclock a little and know they have been thoroughly tested by the manufacturer. Plus assuming you have hardware designed for 64bit then your RAM will work fine.

RAID: We always have a separate HDD for OS and AV files. It isn't recommended to have one large RAID for everything. Some go RAID 5, I personally have RAID 0. Since I never get dropped frames.. it is fast enough for my SD.

Video cards: Videoguy has a nice article on display cards. You are looking for a card w/ Open GL and 128MB (better to have 256MB) No need to over-spend unless your NLE uses your graphic card GPU to do rendering.

To my knowledge all the newer NLE programs use both cores for processing (XP Home maxes out on seeing two cores, though.)

I hope that helps.

My advice.. don't over do it. You are only going to update your computer in 2-3 years. If I was building a a computer today...I'd make sure all the hardware have or will have drivers for Vista.

Return to posts index

NoTx
Re: New System for Vegas 7 + Borris + Cinescore
by
on Dec 15, 2006 at 4:57:21 pm

LeeAVP: RAM is RAM... but I buy better RAM recommended for gamers. So I can overclock a little and know they have been thoroughly tested by the manufacturer. Plus assuming you have hardware designed for 64bit then your RAM will work fine.

Interesting idea. I am a bit skeptic of over clocking myself. As a network engineer I have seen too many machines go down for slight increases of heat. I was more looking for the happy spot in ram amount for these apsSmile

RAID: We always have a separate HDD for OS and AV files. It isn't recommended to have one large RAID for everything. Some go RAID 5, I personally have RAID 0. Since I never get dropped frames.. it is fast enough for my SD.

Er, and for HDV? How many spindle raid 0 is really recommended? Or I could go Ultra320 or SAS.

To my knowledge all the newer NLE programs use both cores for processing (XP Home maxes out on seeing two cores, though.)

Definitely XP Pro. But are those aps 64bit aware by chance?

I hope that helps.

My advice.. don't over do it. You are only going to update your computer in 2-3 years. If I was building a a computer today...I'd make sure all the hardware have or will have drivers for Vista.

It did! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]