<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
Videoguys DIY Pages
on Dec 7, 2006 at 2:08:07 am

Here is a list of the latest DIY articles:

DIY5 Intel Core 2 Duo Strikes Back!
Intel regains the top spot for NLE workstations
http://www.videoguys.com/DIY5.html

This summer Intel began shipping their new Core 2 Dual CPUs (code name Conroe). I’d been watching and following the leaks and reports about the new Conroe chips for months. All my favorite hardware websites – Tom’s Hardware, ExtremeTech, Anandtech and many others where posting articles on the remarkable performance of these chips. I knew I had to have one. I would make my own personal dream machine, to use in my new home editing suite. I called my dream machine the Vaporizer, and I could not wait to get it built.

The Intel Empire is once again the best in the universe. Will the AMD rebels be able to come back? Quad Core chips have already been announced. Just how powerful and fast will computers become in the next years or two? We’ll have to see. For now, our DIY5 Core 2 Duo machine is the biggest and baddest single CPU machine in the universe. May the force be with you!

DIY – GPU
Picking the right graphics card for your NLE workstation
http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html

One of the most often asked questions we get asked on our tech support and sales lines (as well as in emails, online forums and user groups) is what is the best graphics card for NLE. The answer is actually pretty simple, once you understand why. It all depends on the NLE software you plan on running, what kind of video work you do and if you are also going to be using any additional hardware in your system.

Selecting the right graphics card for your NLE workstation is one of the most important decisions you will make. When in doubt, I suggest getting a little more GPU power than you need. It won’t hurt you today, and it will most likely save you money down the road, because you won’t have to upgrade your graphics card if additional OpenGL performance is needed.

DIY4 - Dual Core Face-Off
AMD Athlon 64 X2 vs Intel Pentium D 900
http://www.videoguys.com/DIY4.html

Back in the end of 2005 we realized that our first two DIY projects had gotten pretty long in the tooth. While they were pretty cutting edge at the time, we were seeing some very new and exciting technologies breaking out. The most exciting was dual core processors.

The advantages of Dual Core processors for video editing are significant. The biggest is price / performance. Most video editing applications are written to take advantage of dual processors and hyperthreading, now with a single affordable chip, you can maximize this capability. Those of you who read our DIY3 article are aware of the troubles and tribulations we ran into building a dual Xeon workstation. With a Dual-Core processor the installation and set up of our DIY4 machines was very easy. As you will see from this article, you can build a killer dual core workstation for under $2,000 that will give you outstanding performance for all your editing and encoding needs.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]