FORUMS: list search recent posts

2nd Hard Drive Recommendation

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hcnt
2nd Hard Drive Recommendation
by
on Nov 2, 2006 at 7:38:59 pm

Hello, I'm new the forum and am looking for some help. I want to capture old VHS home videos and the occasional satellite tv to my computer. I've been doing video capture and editing for awhile with my dell laptop, WinDVD Creator & Plextor AV-100U. I learned to just deal with skipped frames, audio dropouts and video that sometimes looked to be in slow motion. I attributed it to my 1.4Ghz Pentium M, 512Mb of RAM and/or the fact that my connection was USB. I recently ordered a Dell XPS 410 with a 2.13Ghz core 2 duo with 2Gb's of Ram & a 320Gb hard drive. It has Media Center with a PCI capture card. On a sidenote, I hate how the capture card only has a 1/8" audio input. I have an adapter to RCA, but the audio seems to hiss with this connection.

Anyway, I'm still having problems capturing the video, and I absolutely hate Media Center. I thought I was getting everything I needed bundled in a nice package. I was wrong. So, the first thing I'm going to do is add a second internal SATA hard drive and would like people's opinions on the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS. It can be had at newegg.com for $90 shipped.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148140&CMP=AFC-...
Seagate seems to be a well-respected brand, and it's 7200RPM. Seems perfect. Anyone think there's a better option?

I've read this site's recommendations on bundles, but right now I want to spend as little as possible and work with what I've got. However, it seems a 2nd hard drive for video is a must. Will I be trouble free after adding the 2nd drive?

Lastly, can anyone tell my why I can't capture using the WinDVD creator and the PCI card? Is it because WinDVD Creator captures MPEG-2 and Movie Maker/Media Center capture as Windows Media Video?

Thanks for any input! Smile

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]