FORUMS: list search recent posts

small time hobby editor looking for most bang for buck

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ChrisFMA
small time hobby editor looking for most bang for buck
on Oct 26, 2006 at 1:24:27 am

I have been using a very simple machine with integrated sound and video to capture, edit and produce simple videos for friends and family. I've been using Pinacle Studio 8 and I want to upgrade to Studio 10 suite. However I'm concerned that this computer doesn't have what it takes to really get the most out of a product like that. This particular machine is an AMD Sempron 2400 1.66 GHZ, 736 MB Ram & a 40 GB HD, plus an additional 80 GB external.

I built a computer as an experiment about a year or so ago. It's purpose was to run a linux based pc figuring it would be more stable. Unfortunately I've found there are no video editing products that are very good for the linux machine. I am thinking of wiping the hard drive and rebuilding as an XP machine however I'm not sure how far I can take it with the current mobo.

Here's what I have:

PCI

VIA Technologies
VT8378 [KM400}

32 bti

80 AGP 3.5

V T8237 Bridge

Processor

AMD Athlon XP 1800

1498.016 MHz
256 Cache
---------------------------------------

I don't know how much I can get out of this board. Is it worth upgrading RAM, CPU, adding video card & extra hard drive? Or should I start all over with a brand new board and processor. Again, I only edit as a hobby, but would like a system that will render and produce faster. Can this machine be upgraded to a system more capable than the system described in the first paragraph? If so what hardware do you recommend.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]