FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitles with Windows 98 SE

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wig
Subtitles with Windows 98 SE
by
on Oct 23, 2006 at 10:58:25 am

Maybe not exactly on topic for this forum, but I am having difficulty finding people who might know the answer.

I have an AVI file with AC3 audio, I succesfully installed an AC3filter so I now have audio (I use Divx player).

There is a subtitle file alongside this avi it is a .srt file I don't have software for subtitles.

I tried directvobsub the installer doesn't work with win 98, I downloaded just the directvobsub files without the installer I got a zip file with just two VSfilter.dll files of different sizes in two separate folders (same filename different folders) one folder was called "release" the other folder was called release unicode. What do I do with this file VSfilter.dll? Which one do I use? and will it work with Win 98 SE?

If not, What can I do in Win 98 SE to view the subtitles?

Thanks

Return to posts index

wig
Re: Subtitles with Windows 98 SE
by
on Nov 15, 2006 at 7:26:24 pm

I solved this by accident, In order to view an mkv file I had to download media player classic 2.6.9 and in order for that to work I had to get directx9.

This player was able to play my avi file with srt subtitles.

However it was unable to play the mkv file, even though I installed the CCCP codec pack from Makrovsky.

The player just reads "opening" when I select the file.

I downloaded core media player and that has the same problem it won't play the file, however coreMP is able to "see" inside the mkv file and view the 3 language tracks, and the chapters of the video. The file looks like a dvd and I'm wondering if that is the reason why the free coreMP does not play it, (because to play a dvd through coreMP you need to register the product), What confuses me about this is that the mkv file is not on a physical dvd, it is on my harddrive, so does anyone know how I might be able to view the mkv file or check if the coreMP *should* play it. i.e. the file is corrupt?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]