FORUMS: list search recent posts

OverKill

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kinetopod
OverKill
on Oct 18, 2006 at 5:47:49 pm

If anyone has a chance to just check over this and say, yeah, you're overkilling but it will be great. Just want a second opinion. I'll be using Adobe PP2 and AE 7 with Lightwave 3D. Thanks.

* APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-Navigator ATXA8NW-AL/500 Silver/Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

* OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

* 3 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

* ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard

* Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor

* 2 x CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (so 4 Gig Total)

* PNY Quadro FX 1500 Pro Video (from what I keep reading this is the card to use for PP2 and AE and I'm not wanting to spend more than $500 on a video card so this looks to be the one over the ATI X1900 series)

Return to posts index

donphillipe
Re: OverKill
on Oct 19, 2006 at 3:26:29 am

I think VG's recommend a single drive for the system drive and a striped raid set for your video work disk. I ordered the single raptor 10K RPM drive for my new system drive but haven't put my system together yet so I don't know how well that will work but surely it has the potential for some improvement. The drive I/O has always seemed like a big bottleneck.

No one has commented on the 10K drive for video (that I can find), so not sure if this is the best idea or not. I remember reading a while back that SATA was unnecessary then because no drive could even reach the speed of ATA 150, but maybe this 10K Raptor will utilize the faster data transfer capability of SATA.

Return to posts index

donphillipe
on Oct 19, 2006 at 3:29:29 am

The guys that are building my setup told me to go with the largest Core 2 Duo and cut back on the memory. So maybe cut back on your memory a bit and go on up to the Core 2 D 6800.

Return to posts index

donphillipe
on Oct 19, 2006 at 3:31:50 am

Also Core 2 Duo uses about 1/2 the power of the Pentium D DIY systems so you don't need a big supply like that I don't think unless you video card requires a supplement.

Return to posts index

Kinetopod
on Oct 19, 2006 at 4:50:32 am

Thanks for the input. I was wondering about RAM since I have used 1 Gig and it seemed fine but upgrading I thought I would splurge and boost to 4 but if it's not really going to make a big difference then I would stick with 2 for now. And that may also be a good idea about going for the 6800 over the 6700. As for the power supply, I just keep reading about how important it is to have a good power supply so I wasn't going to play any games, no pun intended. The tower I am getting comes with 500W power so may again, just see if that works and maybe upgrade later.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]