FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reel to Reel (not vhr) to camcorder help please

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kimber
Reel to Reel (not vhr) to camcorder help please
on Oct 16, 2006 at 6:53:08 pm

Hello, I need some advice. I am going looking to buy a camcorder so I can play my reel to reel film on my project to a screen then use my camcorder to film it so I can save my old 1060's home move film. This is not VHS but old style reel to reel film. I have way to much film to be able to afford to have it professional changed over.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am doing this for my parents for a Christmas gift.

Thank you
Kimber

Return to posts index

donphillipe
Re: Reel to Reel (not vhr) to camcorder help please
on Oct 16, 2006 at 7:45:10 pm

Someone proposed a company that is doing it for .17 a foot but that is the direct frame per frame transfer, telecine and still costly. Just do a search on telecine if you are interested in the best quality transfer.

I think most people just shoot the screen while projecting the movie if they don't have the prism kit. I used an analog camera passed through my Sony Digital 8 A2D converter and the picture looked better than using my digital camera. What you might do is if you have a cheap DVD recorder is just plug your analog or digital camera directly into the DVD recorder input and not even go through a tape, then record the movie directly onto to DVD as the film rolls.

Return to posts index

kimber
on Oct 16, 2006 at 8:34:16 pm

I can get it at .17 a foot but I am still look at over a thousand to transfer it all. My Dad was a home movie film nut as far as his children went. I had suitcases full of film.

>>> analog or digital camera<<< you mean camera or camcorder?

>>>What you might do is if you have a cheap DVD recorder is just plug your analog or digital camera directly into the DVD recorder input and not even go through a tape, then record the movie directly onto to DVD as the film rolls.<<

I have a dvd burner I can hook a camcorder up to however I don’t own a camcorder yet but am looking to buy a camcorder this weekend. Your posting kind of lost me. If I film the reel to reel film playing on the screen with a camcorder will it look like a regular movie when it watch it? Or just pictures.

Return to posts index

donphillipe
on Oct 17, 2006 at 5:11:00 am

I have noticed a lot more questions than answers here so I'll give you a first pass by including my experience on it and then someone can correct me.

First of all there are no user grade telecinie converters that I know of, and no professional ones that are affordable, although I am at a loss as to why no one came up with a consumer grade or at least a prosumer grade version of this. A home workshop electronic project version might have even been nice, but I just don't see a lot of hobiest activity in this field. After all, once we get our home movies transferred, we would likely have to head to ebay because what good is it any longer?

The alternative is the half baked photographing of the movie screen. I believe that the story goes that the old analog camcorders (like we used to carry on our shoulders) had slow scanning mechanisms to where using them helped to minimize the flicker of the film so it was not so obvious as it is with these snazzy new digital camcorders. So these old analog camcorders, while having not as good resolution, had less flicker. Since 8mm was not that sharp anyway, more people will likely notice the flicker you get with the digital.

So I would borrow someone's old over the shoulder VCR-CAM, plug the analog video outputs into a cheap set top DVD burner and maybe plug your ipod into the audio in to give you a nice score to go along with it, that is if you have as much spare time as me and want to be done by Christmas Wink .

Of course, when I did my own experiment with digital vs. old analog camcorder capturing 8mm, the DV camcorder I was using was one from about 8 years ago, so who knows how today's camcorders handle the film. If you want a digital camcorder, I think I would by the one you want and not one that would do transferrs, then if it doesn't look right, try borrowing a neighbors or relatives old analog set.

Return to posts index

donphillipe
on Oct 17, 2006 at 5:45:30 am

Sorry, I don't speak clearly when I am in a hurry. I am not the best guy to answer this. I have done it before and I was satisfied with my results and my results looked as good as anyone else's I have seen that has had it done professionally (mall movie transfer shop, not the telecine pro 17 cents a foot guys). Of course I would have liked the telecine process, I just could not warrent the cost and as you have said my family had a lot of footage.

I originally recorded a VCR tape with an over the shoulder style VHS-VCR from about 10 years ago. I set up the giant VHS RCA camera on a tri-pod and filmed the 8mm projected movie image onto the camera and thus the VCR tape (pointed camera at movie screen). I recently purchased a very cheap DVD set-top recorder/player and transferred the VCR tape I made a few years ago (film has long gone in trash) to DVD. The results were OK. Yes, I would have loved to have telecine, but like you say, not for a sharp grand.

I also mentioned that if you were going to use an old analog camera that could possibly cause less flicker in the sync department (i.e. you saw less flicker from such a device as opposed to a new digital movie camera device) that the picture would be vastly improved if you plugged the camera analog output directly in the DVD recorder and skipped the VHS tape all together.

I was also saying that you would not want to buy a camera just to transfer your film or buy one that worked well on film only because you will only do this for a few hours and be done and presumably you would use the camera for other things for years to come. Also that if you were buying a camera just to record movies, since they don't make one anyone can afford that does movies well, why not just borrow one for a few weekends.

And also, I think I recall in the past someone mentioning some digital camcorders getting out of sync when you film a 8mm movie or producing more film flicker in your recording that some of the old analog cameras produce. My memory fails me on the details but try a Google of it.

I have done extensive home movie producition using DV Firewire feed, Adobe Premiere and Encore burning to DVD. I just found that my time gets so tied up in all my hobbies and chores that I can't dream of running all my old VCR tapes through this long A2D to Premiere, to edit, to Encore, to DVD. I just plug in the VHS tape in my old analog camera connected to my $129 set-top DVD burner and let her rip. I get my DVD and I save weeks of production time I could better spend working on real DV stuff, stuff that will show better results from my production time.

Hope this helps, try a search on this forum or google on "telecine home movies" to see all that has been written on the subject, then come back and tell me all I missed Smile

Return to posts index

donphillipe
on Oct 17, 2006 at 6:13:38 am

P.S. If you want to do production work on your old home movies, I recommend putting together a temporary setup of the following. I would set up my 8MM projector in a very dark room, borrow a older relatives VHS camcorder, set it up on a tripod with a long "yellow" video wire (composite), then borrow someone's Sony Digital 8 camcorder (or another mfg that has a built in D/A/D converter like Sony has). I would plug granma's VHS-VCR video camcorder video output into the video in of the Sony Digital 8 camcorder, I would put the camera in passthru mode (see manual) connect the firewire to the Sony Digital 8 and start your capture program on your computer along with the projector. That again is for production work.

Otherwise, I would use that same old analog camera of grandma's with the video-out connected directly to video-in of my set-top DVD recorder. I might plug in my IPOD to the audio-in to give some good background music if I was going this route, the "cheating route" and copy my 8mm to DVD that way.

I don't know about any of the cards that VG sells here but I do know that I worked with All In Wonder cards for years (on my 4th one now) and none of them even came close to producing a usable editable video capture AVI from an analog device like the Digital 8 does. The Sony Digital 8 has a beautiful A/D converter, in my book at least. I am retiring my AIW cards this year and will use my Digital 8 whenever I need to capture analog video from this point on.

Return to posts index

donphillipe
on Oct 17, 2006 at 6:18:11 am

P.S. Don't you hate posters who talk to themselves Smile

Return to posts index

kimber
on Oct 17, 2006 at 4:52:11 pm

donphillipe: P.S. Don't you hate posters who talk to themselves Smile

My thought are won't an image stabilizer on a camcord make the flicking in the film ok?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]