FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nightmare with Pinnacle 700-PCI and Studio Plus - HELP

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
krusadr
Nightmare with Pinnacle 700-PCI and Studio Plus - HELP
on Oct 10, 2006 at 12:10:19 am

Hi I bought this $150 card + breakout box + Studio software package and I have to say it is utter garbage.

I bought it for capturing a library of aging Hi8 tapes but it is not working.

It captures with good sound and video quality but the problem is the audio sync is terrible. The card is quite unusable. Googleing around it seems that everyone knows about it and it can't be fixed.

So I will put that one down to experience.

Now I need a recommendation for a capture card that will work PERFECTLY and be the last solution I ever buy.

I have upto $600 to spend on a card that is

a) PAL and NTSC compatible
b) has excellent analogue capture quality
c) has ROCK-STEADY audio sync even for hour-plus long captures
d) is compatible with leading software such as Premier Pro, Final Cut Pro etc.

This can be a card or an external box with Firewire. I prefer the latter if it works perfectly.

Please help me get this right as I'm sick of messing around with half-functioning gear.

My video editing PC is 3.4 dual-core, 2 Gb ram, Geforce 7900.

Thanks, Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Nightmare with Pinnacle 700-PCI and Studio Plus - HELP
on Oct 10, 2006 at 5:59:40 pm

sorry to here about your Pinnacle problems. What we've found is that for some guys it works great, others OK, some nightmares. Your computer looks strong enough. Unfortunatley with most cheap NLE solutions, audio drift/sync issues are a top complaint.

You really need to migrate over to Avid Liquid, Sony Vegas or Premiere Pro. You can use any of these softwares witha converter box like the ADVC110 for excellent results.
The ADVC100 is an external media conveter that take analog footage and convcerts it to DV w/ perfect sync. It attaches to your computer via FireWire. It runs with FCP on a Mac as well.

http://www.videoguys.com/ADVC.html

Gary

Return to posts index

krusadr
on Oct 11, 2006 at 3:23:21 am

Thanks Gary,

I already have Premier Pro Smile Do you think it's worth the extra for the ADVC300 over the 110? It's double the price at $470 rather than $240.

I really don't mind spending the cash but I must be absolutely certain that it will work perfectly and not be another wasted spend.

My old Hi8 tapes are priceless but some are quite noisy so I was looking at the filtering the 300 offers. Any thoughts?

Either way are you certain that one of these will definately solve the synch problems?

thanks
Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Oct 12, 2006 at 1:36:06 am

both teh advc100 and advc300 give the same grrat results. If you get sync iussues using wither one, then you have a throughput issue with your computer.

Advantage of ADVC300 is the ability to clean up & restore older VHS tapes.

If these tapes are the ones giving you audio sync issues, then the D+ADVC will help with that.

Gary

Return to posts index

rusher33770
PINNACLE 700-PCI AUDIO SYNC PROBLEM WORKAROUND
on Dec 30, 2006 at 6:51:35 pm

I recently purchased the Pinnacle 700-PCI module, which included the Studio Plus 10.5 capture and editing software. I bought it specifically because of Pinnacle's claim of "rock-solid A/V synchronization". I have a large collection of old VHS tapes that I wish to transcribe to DVD. After installing the module and software, I encountered many of the problems cited here and elsewhere; specifically, audio/video synchronization and DVD burn and playability issues. After much tinkering, I managed to solve most of these problems by using the following sequence of steps to capture and edit the video, then using NERO EXPRESS 6 (not Studio Plus 10.5) to burn the DVD:

1. Capture: Always ALWAYS use the AVI Full Quality preset in Studio Plus 10.5. If you use MPEG-1/2, you will not have acceptable audio/video sync. Audio delay with the MPEG-1/2 preset is time-variable, making it virtually impossible to edit out. Even with the AVI preset, there may be a static delay between the captured audio and video. This is often caused by transients in the video source, such as those that occur when a tape transitions from one recording session to another. Such delays, when they occur, are static (i.e. the delay is constant over time), so they are fairly easy to edit out in SP 10.5.

2. Once the AVI file is captured, procede immediately to the "Make Movie" tab in SP 10.5 and create a "DVD-Quality MPEG-2" file from the captured AVI file. Use the newly-created MPEG-2 file for editing and post-processing.

3. Load the newly-created MPEG-2 file into the SP 10.5 editor and discard the AVI file. Check for any static delay between video and audio. If delay is present, lock the video track and remove a segment of the audio track at the leading edge of the clip that is equal in length to that of the delay, then slide the entire audio track so that its leading edge coincides with that of the leading edge of the video clip. You may have to make a few passes at this, but it's not that difficult. Once everthying is in sync, edit titles and effects.

4. Procede to "Make Movie". DO NOT BURN A DVD WITH SP 10.5. Instead, create a disk image by specifying "Create disc content but do not burn" in the "Settings" pulldown menu.

5. Exit Studio Plus 10.5 and use NERO EXPRESS 6 to burn the DVD from the created image.

I have produced many DVD's from VHS tapes using the above sequence. They are all well-synchronized, and I have yet to find a player that won't play them.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]