FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY Update: The Empire Strikes Back!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
DIY Update: The Empire Strikes Back!
on Aug 26, 2006 at 2:34:10 pm

This summer Intel began shipping their new Conroe & Woodcrest CPUs. With these new blazing fast dual-core processors Intel has leap frogged AMD. I made the following post in the Matrox RT.X2 forum that I think is worth noting here:

Matrox has been working on validating some systems based on the newer Intel 965 Chipset, as well as some 975 Chipset solutions which support the new Conroe processors. Among others, Matrox has been testing the following ….

- Asus P5B Deluxe (w/ WIFI)
- Asus P5W DH Deluxe (w/WIFI)
- Intel DP965LT

This is great news! I think many of us (end users and dealers alike) are very anxious to get our habds on these new systems. We will be building a Conroe based system using the Asus P5W DH motherboard and an ATI 1900 graphics card. I've been following the early reports and it looks like the Intel motherboards have the early edge. My guess is that Asus will implement driver/ bios fixes to be as good or better than the Intel. Time will tell.

For those looking into Woodcrest, we have done some preliminary reearch and we feel the new Tyan Tempest Dual Dual-Core is going to be a great choice. There are many versions. We feel the Tempest i5000XT (S2696) will be the best choice for RT.X2 and all our NLE solutions.

That will probably end up being our DIY6 machine, but we have to get DIY5 done first. DIY5 (conroe based) is going to be my new home machine. I've been using the original DIY2 "Big Blue" machine for a couple of years now, and Ive been anxiously awaiting Conroe to make my move.

Guys, I talk to the gang at Matrox all the time. They are working very hard to get these new systems tested and certified. Processors and motherboards for Conroe & Woodcrest are in very tight supply. As a result you will end up paying a premium for them. Over the next 4-6 weeks supply should catch up, and we'll see the premium drop.

RT.X2 is a great solution for Premiere Pro (and the Adobe Production Studio) with both DV & HDV footage. In one of these new machines your going to get great performance in a very reasonably priced computer.

Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: DIY Update: The Empire Strikes Back!
on Oct 29, 2006 at 3:12:34 pm

Our DIY 5 Core 2 Duo machine is built and in final testing. So far rhte results are amazing. It is ripping threw our benchmark tests. It is by far the fastest machine we've ever put together!!

Here ya go - for a sneak peak http://www.videoguys.com/DIY5.html

Gary

Return to posts index

justpaul
DIY5 machine & Edius NX
on Nov 8, 2006 at 4:33:22 am

I really want to get started building the DIY5 sytem but want to optimize it for Edius NX. How would it differ from the Videoguys system?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Nov 8, 2006 at 5:44:32 pm

i don't see any reason why edius NX PCIe should have any problem with our DIY5 builds

gary

Return to posts index

des10rpc
on Nov 14, 2006 at 1:43:24 pm

Have been holding off building a replacement for my slow (yet reliable) beige box for some time, but DIY5 has gained my attention.

Before I embark on emulating your success in benchmark performances I have one question in relation to graphics card choice and SLI/Crossfire config. I use Adobe Premiere Pro which should lead me down the FX1500 OpenGL route, however I would also like the option to add a second card in the future to run SLI/Crossfire. So, does the benefit of OpenGL outweigh running Crossfire with two X1900's or should I consider changing motherboard to an SLI version?

Confused!
Des

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Nov 14, 2006 at 6:55:21 pm

good question about the dual graphics cards. Unfortunately we just don;t have enough experience or feedback to go down this road yet. Our vendors say no benefit of dual graphics cards. Some even caution about potential issues.

For now, it's going into uncharted waters. If you are just using Prem Pro and no hardware you should be OK.

Gary

Return to posts index

ckuzy
on Nov 15, 2006 at 8:04:47 am

Another question about the dual/dual:

You list the PC2-6400 memory as the memory used. The data sheet from Tyan shows only PC2-4300 and PC2-5400 as being compatible with the i5000XT.

Is 6400 simply a typo or is this what you used in your build? Do you think the performace would suffer using the recommended memory (KHX5400d2/1G)? Having to have 4 sticks means a $200 difference in price for the memory. Very Happy

Return to posts index

des10rpc
on Nov 15, 2006 at 12:53:57 pm

Thanks Gary.....will post back here with any updates if I go dual cards.

Shame you guys don't have a base in the UK......haven't found anywhere that provides better info / advice as yet!

Des

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]