FORUMS: list search recent posts

GTech Raid troubles

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Moor
GTech Raid troubles
on Jul 26, 2006 at 2:48:37 pm

I purchased the GTech Raid (500gb) drive and a Pyro1394b PCI (Firewire 800) card for my Dell Gen2 XPS / 3gig RAM in very late December. I've had trouble with the GTech staying "on line" since day one. After talking with Videoguys tech support once, it was suggested I return the Pyro card for a replacment, which I did. That was 3 or 4 months ago. I installed the new card; same trouble. Due to a lot of factors, I got discouraged trying to get it to work and projects were backing up so I put the issue on the back burner. Now, for the past week or two, I'm back trying to get this thing going. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Pyro card and software. No change; drive hangs up, locks up my computer. I uninstalled the Pyro card and connected the GTech as a standard Firewire drive and I have the same problem. Locks up and that locks up the entire computer. I constantly get a pop-up error message that the file G:$Mft (G: is the drive letter for my GTech) can't be written, the data is lost and I should save the data in a different location. When I investigate that error message, my findings seem to all indicate the hardware is defective. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: GTech Raid troubles
on Jul 26, 2006 at 7:26:50 pm

I don't know who makes MOBOs for Dell or specifically the one for your computer. BUT

Have you tried to update the MOBO's BIOS and any other firmware updates for your pyro and GTech hardware. (if one exists)

Return to posts index

James Moor
GTech Raid Drive
on Jul 26, 2006 at 9:48:30 pm

Haven't updated any bios on the motherboard. I've found doing so, many times is a disaster waiting to happen. There aren't any bios / firmware updates for the Pyro nor GTech drive. Well, there is one Firmware update, but my serial number isn't in the range of drives that "need" the update. In addition, there's a warning NOT to update the Firmware if the SN isn't within the range.

Since my original post earlier today, at the suggestion of Videoguys tech support, I've contacted GTech directly for assistance. Videoguys tech support says it sounds like a defective GTech drive. The unit is only 6 months old. I guess I'm about to see how good their warranty is. Rolling Eyes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]