FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPU Acceleration: how much benefit, flexablity

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Plazmodeus
GPU Acceleration: how much benefit, flexablity
on Jul 9, 2006 at 10:02:14 pm

Hello.

Great forums, very insightful. Glad I found them.

I've been cutting DV on a DV500/Premiere 6.5 system for several years now and have been very happy with the workflow I've developed with it. However Pinnacle stopped supporting the board and upgrading the drivers a while ago, and it's really prevented me from integrating the newer versions of Premiere Pro into my workflow. It seems like HD & HDV editing is the next step and that means Prem Pro 2.0.

I have a fast system with an Opteron 170, 2Gb ram, and a fast disk array. I am curious about A) whether GPU accelerated real time rendering is as fast as it was with a hardware RT card, and B) whether using the Video Out on a consumer video card to drive a NTSC preview monitor is as good as having a dedicated hardware output. What kiind of GPU's are 'fast enough' and 'really fast'? I have an ATI Radeon X800XL and was considering upgrading to an Nvidia 7950GX2. Is it fast enough to do realtime HDV previews on the GPU? Does Premiere (or any of the other package) support dual GPU's? In a dual GPU system, could one GPU (in a non-sli enabled situation) drive the preview in my workspace on my monitor and one drive the TV out preview to a sparate NTSC/HDTV display? I guess my question is this: How powerful is GPU accelerated video preview rendering? How flexible?

As for RT HDV cards, Videoguys, do you ship to Canada?

Thanks in Advance

-A-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]