FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video on PC continues to skip frames

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mtpinto
Video on PC continues to skip frames
on Jun 18, 2006 at 5:45:39 am

Hello,

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 (Small form factor)with Win XP, Pent 4 and a Panasonic GS150 camcorder.

Initially when I transferred my video to the PC and played back the video on the PC I would get frequent skipped frames. I was using the USB cable that the camcorder came with. I was not sure if the USB port was 2.0 so I purchased a firewire card/cable and installed it. I continued to get skipped frames on my video after transferring with firewire. I had 256MB of RAM so I added more memory, now I have about 1200MB RAM. Now I CONTINUE to get skipped frames on playback of video on the PC. I have about 23Gigs of my 40Gig space left on the hard drive. I am thinking about purchasing an 80-100 gig [b]external [/b]hard drive to see if this will resolve the skipping of frames.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Video on PC continues to skip frames
on Jun 19, 2006 at 12:36:22 am

Add a second additional internal hard drive to your computer. Just make sure it's connected to a different port from your boot drive. Format this drive as a single drive. Don't partition it. Use it to capture your video

Windows will always take control of your boot drive causing dropped video frames, if you're trying to capture to a single internal drive.

You can read all about this at http://www.videoguys.com/started.html

Return to posts index

mtpinto
on Jun 19, 2006 at 1:16:18 am

Will an external hard drive work? I have a small slim case so I'm not sure if a 2nd HD will fit internally.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 19, 2006 at 3:25:21 am

It will only work if it's firewire. External USB hard drives can't handle the sustained throughput. It's cheaper to buy a large internal hard drive and data cable for your computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]