FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing video from a DVD into a new DVD project

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Rumin
Importing video from a DVD into a new DVD project
on Jun 18, 2006 at 1:31:25 am

I am creating DVD's from home videos taken with Sony camcorders. Other members of my family also have camcorders and send me their videos for inclusion in my project(s). How can I decode the data on their dvd's so that I can import it into my project?
I am using Sonic MyDVD which does not let me do this.

Return to posts index

jk43
Re: Importing video from a DVD into a new DVD project
by
on Jun 19, 2006 at 9:51:23 pm

Ulead's VideoStudio will do this for you (http://www.ulead.com/runme.htm). It can "take apart" the files on the DVD and produces an mpeg2 file which you can re-edit or use as is on your new DVD. It's inexpensive at $69.99 and you can download it from their website.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rumin
Importing video from a dvd into a new dvd project
on Jun 20, 2006 at 10:12:06 pm

Thank you jk43. I checked the product description on ulead's web page and nowhere did I see a reference to that feature. I presume that you are speaking from personal experience.
I am actually using MyDVD 6 which is supposed to be able to do that, at least with dvd's produced with MyDVD. However, this feature does not work and their tech support claim I need MyDVD8 So much for Sonic! Smile

Return to posts index

jk43
by
on Jun 21, 2006 at 5:30:29 pm

They may not say it on the web site, but the feature is included. In fact, that's the only thing I use it for. I do my actual editing in Vegas (or Premiere) and use Vegas DVD Architect to create my DVDs. I used to use MyDVD and it was lousy.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rumin
Converting dvd files backto MPEG.
on Jun 23, 2006 at 11:21:56 pm

Thanks jk43. That is very helpful. I notice on videohelp.com they suggest a number of similar programs that are FREE Very Happy . They include:

Tools that can "convert" the DVD VOB files back to a MPG file or MPEG2, AC3,MPA files (demultiplex):
DVDDecrypter(free, also built-in ripping)
Smartripper(free, also built-in ripping)
Rejig(free)
TMPGEnc DVD Author(DVD to one MPG file, only one audio audio track)
VOBEdit(free)
VOB2MPG (DVD to one MPG file, FREE and VERY VERY VERY VERY EASY TO USE!!!)

Do you have any opinions on these/
Thanks again.
Nick Rumin

Return to posts index

jk43
by
on Jun 24, 2006 at 2:22:42 pm

Nope. I just know that VideosStudio works and doesn't crash my computer or interfere with my other software. I haven't had much luck with "free" software.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rumin
Converting dvd back to video format
on Jun 24, 2006 at 6:10:42 pm

Most surely a major consideration for using a package like VideosStudio.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Nick Rumin

Return to posts index

nukacola
on Jul 6, 2006 at 9:04:10 am

well, then have a try DVD EZ Copy
its only 29.95 USD!

Return to posts index

Nicholas Rumin
Ripping home generated dvd's for inclusion in new dvd
on Aug 15, 2006 at 12:52:34 am

jk43 claims that I can do this using Ulead VideoStudio. I have downloaded the pdf file with the complete spec for this software (version 10) , and nowhere is there any mention of dvd ripping. I also downloaded the free trial version but unfortunately many of the features are not working so I can not really check. Can anyone help me with finding a reliable dvd ripper. I am not interested in any kind of piracy: the dvd's I want to rip are home produced sent to me by family members. I want to edit them into a single dvd.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]