RT.X2

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ssvp
RT.X2
by
on Jun 9, 2006 at 5:08:43 am

Ok Whats the word on the street..

RT.X2 vs RT.X100 - Gimme the goods before I drop $2K..

Smile
SSVP
Team WVP
http://www.wedvidpro.com

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: RT.X2
on Jun 9, 2006 at 8:18:48 pm

I've owned an RT.X100 for 4 years now. It's worked great for DV editing, but it is a 4-year-old design. The RT.X2 is a current design, which has more power for realtime on DV and will also do realtime HDV, which is where video is headed.

Return to posts index

ssvp
by
on Jun 9, 2006 at 8:26:33 pm

I own 4 RT.X100 for over 4 years.. So now I am looking for the buys who have made the switch and their initial impressions with the RT.X2.. Features and Spec lists I toss out the window..

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 9, 2006 at 8:35:51 pm

Well, it's hard to have been over 4 years, as it was released in July 2002. Personally, I'm trying Production Studio without the RT.X100 initially. I've read a lot of complaints about limitations with the RT.X100 with it using the beta drivers. I may try it with the final drivers, when it's released, but I really like the built-in multicam features without it. Basically, I think Production Studio may work better without the RT.X100.

Personally, I'm not planning to invest in HDV until a standard distribution media is available. I don't expect the BluRay and HD-DVD battle to be settled for a couple of years.

Return to posts index

ssvp
by
on Jun 9, 2006 at 8:41:57 pm

I meant 4 = for years..

Smile

I running the 2 RT.X100's on Production Studio Premium with PR1 and the other 2 with PR2 on Studio Premium..

So I was curious if anyone bought the RT.X2 yet and their impressions from an RT.X100 to RT.X2..

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 10, 2006 at 1:19:39 am

There were some impressions posted on the Matrox RT.X100 forums.

Return to posts index

ssvp
by
on Jun 10, 2006 at 1:32:29 am

Oh I know.. I'm there everyday..Smile

I just wanted a NON-Matrox forum thread to see what the impressions were..Smile

Looks like it's our thread now..eeheheh

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 11, 2006 at 7:59:01 am

RT.X2 has only been shipping for a week or two. So I don't think too many folks have it up & running just yet.

For DV work your going to get many more streams of real-time video, graphics & FX. The real advanatage of RT.X2 comes in when you are going to edit HDV. While Premiere Pro 2 alone can edit HDV footage, the workflow is very clunky and slow.

HDV footage at 1080i can pass via firewire to the computer, but when it actually comes to editing and working with the footage, you need to be able to handle significantly more data - more like 5 times the data of DV. Add in the complexity in handling the GOP structure of HDV, and it’s just not something pure CPU power can handle effectively.

With the RT.X2 not only can you handle the HDV streams in real-time, you can mix HDV & DV footage in the same timeline in real-time. You can also color correct in realtime.

Talk to HDV editors who are used to real-time DV editing, and they’ll be glad to tell you about the pain they’re going through working with HDV footage. With RT.X2 the pain is gone, you get the same great workflows you’ve come to know and love w/ RTX100.

Yes, RT.X2 is expensive at 2 grand, but those making money from video and working with HDV footage will find it pays for itself quickly.

Click here for more RT.X2 info or to order http://www.videoguys.com/rtx2.html

Return to posts index

sbvideo
RTX2 and Quadro FX1100
on Aug 22, 2006 at 11:51:56 pm

Any thoughts experiences (good or bad) about using the Quadro FX 1100 with the RT.x2??

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Aug 23, 2006 at 3:23:44 pm

The RT.X2 requires a powerful PCIe graphics card. The QuadroFX cards are OK, but for best results use an ATI1900 series graphics card.

Gary

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Dec 7, 2006 at 2:45:07 am

Why upgrade from Matrox RT.X100 to Matrox RT.X2?

Both Matrox RT.X2 and Matrox RT.X100 are ideal for corporate communicators, event videographers, project studios, educational
facilities, and digital filmmakers. There are, however, important differences between the two products.

Matrox RT.X100 is designed for realtime DV editing and it has a dedicated, on-board GPU (graphics processing unit) to process Matrox Flex effects.

Matrox RT.X2 is designed primarily for realtime native HDV and DV editing. Matrox RT.X2 is built on the award-winning Matrox Axio
architecture that leverages CPU and GPU power. It relies on your system graphics card to process Matrox Flex GPU effects, providing
more scalability. If you want to do more layers of 3D you can simply upgrade your graphics card. RT.X2 also provides a high-quality
MPEG-2 4:2:2 I-frame codec so you can capture other HD and SD formats using RT.X2’s analog inputs and mix all types of footage
on the timeline in real time. With Matrox RT.X2, you get a high-performance, future-proof HDV and SD editing environment.

RT.X2 features not found in RT.X100

· Realtime, multi-layer native HDV editing – RT.X2 provides HD performance similar to what RT.X100 provides in SD
· Many more realtime layers of video and graphics in SD – on a reasonably performing system, you can expect to edit
at least five native DV video layers plus six graphics layers and effects in real time
· Realtime MPEG-2 I-frame editing in HD and SD – this 4:2:2 codec provides high-quality capture from analog sources
· Realtime mixing of formats and resolutions on any timeline in real time – you can mix HD and SD material – no hassles, no rendering
· Realtime down conversion of a 1080i timeline to NTSC or PAL – eliminates the need to render an SD copy of an HD master
· 23.98 fps editing for the film look in DV
· New Matrox Flex CPU and Flex GPU effects such as realtime primary and secondary color correction, realtime track matte,
realtime surface finish, accelerated shine, etc. – the same professional effects found on Matrox Axio are provided on RT.X2
· Analog component input and output in HD and SD lets you capture and record using higher-end sources such as Betacam,
DigiBeta, etc.
· 1394 pass-through is provided on the RT.X2 breakout box
· Audio VU meters on capture let you easily make adjustments so you always capture audio at the proper signal level
· Faster than realtime DVD encoding (encoding speed depends on timeline complexity and system CPU and GPU power)
· Faster than realtime export to disk (export speed depends on timeline complexity and system CPU and GPU power)
· Full-resolution HD monitoring on an inexpensive flat panel display via independent DVI output – you can view full-quality HD
on an affordable monitor

RT.X2 provides tighter integration with Adobe Premiere Pro

· Realtime effects control is integrated into the Premiere Pro user interface – there is no need to learn a custom UI, if you know how to use Premiere Pro and After Effects, you know how to use RT.X2
· Voiceover is supported on RT.X2
· 5.1 surround sound mixing and monitoring is supported on RT.X2
· WYSIWYG support with dynamic Alt+Tab switching is now provided for the most popular applications – there is no need
to close Premiere to have a preview output
· Adobe Dynamic Link support – RT.X2 lets you take full advantage of this key feature of Adobe Production Studio
· Realtime mixed-format multi-cam – your HDV and DV cameras can all be used as sources in a multi-cam shoot
· Safe title area and zooming of live window
· Additional realtime native Adobe effects: Crop, Dip to Black, Black and White, Additive Dissolve
· RT.X2 uses the Premiere Pro native “Scene Detect” feature for scan and capture in DV and HDV

Other differences
· Most features of Matrox Media Tools are now found in Premiere Pro
· Most features of Matrox Media Export are now found in Premiere Pro
· A few effects such as 3D tiles, particle effects, twirls, and cubes are not implemented on RT.X2
· To enhance system compatibility, realtime “always output to 1394” is not offered on RT.X2
· Realtime M2V capture is not implemented in the current release of RT.X2

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]