FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why RAID?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nichchr
Why RAID?
on Jun 8, 2006 at 4:09:20 am

On both the boxes I built so far, I did RAID the video drives, and have never had any problems. But I'm wondering what the benefit actually is vs. the increased risk of losing everything.

Why not simply keep the 2+ drives as seperate drives, say 250gb each and store the clips on one til it's full then have at the other(s)? This way if a drive fails, you only lose those files, not everything as you would in a RAID. NLEs don't care where they get the source material from...is it actually that much slower to pull data from nonbinded sources? Given how big drives have become, capacity isn't much of a problem anymore for SD stuff.

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

jjneidl
Raid - who needs it?
on Jun 8, 2006 at 4:56:03 pm

I agree with you.
Unless there is some speed increase using two drives (two heads moving instead of one), there isn't much need for raid because of the high capacity drives now available.

I thought the transfer rate of 3mb/sec is the critical speed factor in drives - for capture.

Finally, from all the unanswered posts I see on this forum, I think this place is dead or dying.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Why RAID?
on Jun 9, 2006 at 3:07:12 am

you don;t need a riad to capture DV footage. A single drive is more than fast enough. When you start to do multiple layers of video on your timeline, then you need faster sustained throughput. For this a raid 0 has benefit. As it will with HD footage.

Gary

Return to posts index

Choky
on Jun 9, 2006 at 6:53:49 am

I had a small utility that gives the speed of HD's and the Raid0 was nearly double the speed of single disks.
I am buillding a new system and decided to go for Raid 5 for security even if I never had any problem with the Raid0 but I now can afford the raid5.

Any body knows if the Raid5 will give me the same speed advantage over sigle disks.

Regards
Choky

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 11, 2006 at 8:23:34 am

RAID 5 will give you much faster throughput than a single disk PLUS you get redundancy. For those who don't understand that means: if one of the drives in the RAID fails, you don't lose any data. If it's in the budget, it is the best storage solution for video. It isn't as fast as RAID 0 - but it is very close, and the added protection is worth every penny.

Gary

Return to posts index

Choky
on Jun 11, 2006 at 8:48:24 am

Thanks Videoguy,

I was expecting this but I have just received my new system, but I am disapointed as I dont see any improvement over my old system it is maybe even slower????

Old System:
MB Intel D865PERL
Pentium4 2.4 Ghz with HT L1 8KB L2 512KB
2 Gb DDR Ram 400Mhz
One 80 Gb IDE system HD
Two 300 Gb Sata drives in Raid0
Asus V9520 Graphics card with FX5200 chip

New System
MB Intel D975XBX
Pentium D 3.20 Ghz L1 16KB L2 2048KB
2 Gb DDR2 Ram 533 Mhz
One 200 Gb Sata System HD
Four 300 GB Sata3 drives in Raid5
Matrox parhelia APVe Graphics card

Both systems have no Antivirus as they do not access Internet.

For the moment the two system are running side by side any idea on what maybe wrong or what settings should I check on the new system.

Thanks for the help
Choky

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 11, 2006 at 8:43:06 pm

Your new system should be running rings around the old one for every possible benchmark.

I suspect you've got a driver issue somewhere. Make sure you have the latest bios for the mother board. Check to see that you also have the latest drivers for the on board RAID5 controller. Check the Matrox cards drivers as well - side note - not a fan of Matroc cards anymore. They have lousy OpenGL support. Unless you need the 3 heads, go with nVideo or ATI.

Gary

Return to posts index

jenia
RAID
on Jun 12, 2006 at 5:46:14 pm

I’m going to buy HP workstation, I'm not sure which one, probably new xw8400 and I want to have RAID 1 installed on it.
I would like to Set Up a Bootable NVIDIA RAID1 Array, but I also want to have one hard drive which I will use for storing my video. Is it possible? I read that it is better to have one hard drive for boot and RIAD0 for video. But I really need to back-up my boot drive. I'm not going to spent a lot of time videoediting, only when I have time. So will it be possible to connect RAID1 boot and one drive for video. Or RAID1 boot and RAID0 for editing?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]