FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas 6 and the core duo laptop

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
salsatilli
Vegas 6 and the core duo laptop
on Jun 7, 2006 at 7:41:14 pm

Hello all,

I have a problem and I think you folks can help me with it. I recently purchased a HP DV1000t laptop (core duo 2ghz and 1 gb ram) for the main purpose of video editing. I like to use Sony Vegas 6 because most of my editing business is in creating photo montages for weddings etc and Vegas is perfectly suited for that. However when I try to capture regular DV video into my laptop through Vegas I get far too many dropped frames to be acceptable. But if I open my demo version of Premiere Pro 2 and capture the same video it captures perfectly with no dropped frames. Both instances assuming no other open programs and non vital background processes stopped. I purchased this computer specifically because I thought it would fit the Vegas requirements.

My question is, what setting can I tweak either in Vegas or Windows to help with smooth capture of my video? I would like to be able to do all of my work in one application, especially since I don't have the cash for a full version of premiere pro right now.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Vegas 6 and the core duo laptop
on Jun 8, 2006 at 3:32:25 am

You have to have a second, in this case external, hard drive to capture your video to. Unless your laptop has the ability to directly plug in a second hard drive, you'll have to add an external firewire drive. USB drives won't be fast enough, because the protocol does not allow a persistant connection. Firewire does.

Windows will always take control of the boot drive, causing your dropped frames, and partitioning the boot drive won't help. You really need a second dedicated hard drive on a different I/O port from the boot drive.

Return to posts index

Troy III
on Jun 17, 2006 at 12:45:02 am

Not At All!
This is really strange.
Vegas is one of the rare apps that could work on systems you expect not to install at all. My first capture from Vegas was done on my old PII CPU 333MHz, 32MB SDRAM, 8 MB Intergrated Video Chip, with no frame dropped. Can you believe that?

Your problem could be everything from: Bad install; Corumped Drivers; Bad DirectX OS version. You've installed your demo Adobe after Vegas compromising it's codec, and million other possibilities. But you could start by reinstalling correct OS version of the latest DirectX than uninstall/reinstall VEGAS.

Hope it helps!

Return to posts index

jayb80
on Aug 16, 2006 at 7:10:48 pm

If you are still having a problm with dropped frams, try making your preview window (the capture preview window) smaller. I had the same problem and I found that this took care of it for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]