FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ok...Im a quick learner....here's what I'm actually planning

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jc1cell
Ok...Im a quick learner....here's what I'm actually planning
on Jun 6, 2006 at 7:07:32 pm

I have come to realize after reading a bit more on the site that this Hauppauge card does not capture in DV [size=9:cf916ed1d0](but the lower mpeg-2 DVD quality) which is the best quality available as far as I have gathered from reading along. Before learning this I had plotted a course to purchase a SATA II Raid Controller, 2 SATA Drives (160GB each), 2 1GB modules of pc2700 Ram and the Hauppauge Capture Card (TV Tuner).

I currently run on an AMD Athlon 2700 @ 1.33GHZ with 512 MB of Ram..no firewire, no video card and a non functioning Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Sound Card [size=9:cf916ed1d0](I'm still working on getting it going but may just take it out). Two PCI slots, one taken by the faulty sound card and a 4x AGP slot.

I am interpreting that capturing at mpeg-2 isn't all that bad but DV is much better. I have seen less expensive cards that are firewire and capture DV and was leaning towards the Pinnacle Studio 500 PCI version 10.5 but have read many negatives on most of them [size=9:cf916ed1d0](specifically during install and the bundled soft which I can understand because its not top of the line software) I feel that I need a card that can handle Compostie Input (RCA and S-video) for vhs and vhs-c transfers and not only Firewire. I think my digital-8 handycam is good enough for 8mm transfer via firewire.

Would you guys be kind enough to tell me if I'm headed in the right direction and what I'm missing from all this?? I'm not too worried about the soft right now because what I'm doing is pretty simple [size=9:cf916ed1d0](I'm using Roxio Easy Media Creator), however, I need good enough hardware [size=9:cf916ed1d0](no need for top of the line yet....like it states on the site DVin = DVout; soft does the rest) for when I do upgrade to better soft.

Limited by 2 PCI slots I'm kind of stuck and don't want to go into a new Mobo quite yet since I'm just beginning to do this a bit more seriously.

Any advice with the kind of card I should use...

Thx guys

Return to posts index

jc1cell
No givers???
on Jun 7, 2006 at 2:58:34 pm

Well, since I haven't seen any replies here I took matters into my own hands.

Current system specs:

[size=10:5d618713ad]PC Chips M825G (9.2a) with Via Chipset
AMD Athlon running @ 1.33
512 MB DDR 333
VGA
♦ Supports 16/32/64 MB Frame Buffers sizes
♦ 128-bit 3D/2D graphic engine
♦ Internal AGP 8X performance

AC’97 Codec
6- channel and compliant with Intel AC’97 (REV. 2.3)
Spec, meeting with Microsoft PC2001 requirements
Stereo Line-in function shared with Surround out.

1 System Hard Drive (Partitioned), PATA
1 Video Hard Drive, PATA

Non functional Sound Blaster Live 5.1 PCI Card
Emtpy 4x AGP slot
1 Empty PCI Slot

Planned changes:

[size=10:5d618713ad]Mobo stays the same
New AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (given the 333 FSB limitation of the board and the Socket 462 support)
2 Gig DDR 333 (2 1gig modules fills the provided slots)
No Video Board (continue using on board video)
Remove Sound Card (continue using on board video)
Add Pinnacle Studio 700 Version 10.5 Capture Card (which would give me firewire support for Handycam direct download)
Add Sata Raid Controler
Add 2 SATA Drives
DVD Burner

This should increase my systems performance dramatically and help eliminate dropped frames I currently experience capturing from my Digital 8 Handycam using Roxio Capture ( As far as I understand its capturing as Mpeg-2 and not DV from reading the specs ).

I'm only planning on transferring old tape video (vhs, vhs-c, 8mm) to digital and doing some editing, but no real 3D or CGI type deal. That's why I left out the Video and Sound Card.

SO.....WHAT DO YOU THINK...GOOD MOVE???

I'm ready to start purchasing today.....drop a line guys, I definitely need your help on this.

JC

Return to posts index

porchy
Re: Ok...Im a quick learner....here's what I'm actually planning
on Jun 7, 2006 at 9:43:34 pm

should get some faster ram, pc3200.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 8, 2006 at 3:17:53 am

You don't need RAID for editing DV (Digital8 records DV format video on a Hi8 tape). Any single 7200 rpm drive can handle DV easily. When drives were only 30 GB, you needed RAID in order to have a large enough space to write your video files. No you only need RAID for editing HD, which has higher bandwidth requirements. A lot of the capture problems I've read about were from people mistakenly setting up a RAID.

You definitely need at least two hard drives, one for Windows and programs, and the other for your video, on separate I/O ports. That's important because you need to keep them on separate IRQs. If you plug in a RAID card, you have to make sure it's not sharing IRQs with something else critical like the IEE1394 port, audio or video, or you'll have dropped frames during capture.

The chipset is very important in video editing, and the Via chipsets seem to have lots of problems with video due to poor PCI bus bandwidth. Via emphasizes video card bandwidth to get better gaming performance scores, which don't help and actually hurt you with video. In fact, once you've decided on your hardware/software for video capture and editing, go the their websites and read their hardware compatibility recommendations. My Matrox digitizer is notorious for being very selective on hardware compatibility.

Read the Videoguys recommendations. Take advantage of someone else's actual experience in building editing systems. Video editing puts extreme demands on a motherboard. Hope this helpls.

Return to posts index

jc1cell
on Jun 8, 2006 at 1:51:53 pm

Your comments are very much appreciated....Since I didn't see much of a response to my post (until you guys posted) I began doing some research on my own based on cost and perfomance aspects. Your comments have confirmed that the changes needed to be made. I was surprised that there was no comment regarding the Capture Card and Editing Software I decided on since I have read here and other places that Studio Pro is very buggy.

So here are the changes with detailed brand names:

[size=10:a238d3d611]Mobo: ABIT KN8 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD 83.00
Video: Mobo
Sound: Mobo
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 135.00
CapCard/Soft: Canopus ACEDVio 299.99
includes Vegas 4.0,
Professional Digital Video and Audio
Firewire Port: From CapCard
OS HD: Currently running a Hitachi 160 BG...not sure rpms
Video HD: Hitachi 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s OEM (64.99x2) 128.98
RAM: Kingston Value RAM DDR 400 unbuffered non ecc (2x90.00) 180.00
DVD Burner: NEC ND 3550A OEM 36.00

For a grand total of $864 (rounded off). I was hoping not to build a new system but build on what I currently have. I probaly will add a case and simply use it as a separate dedicated system.

Return to posts index

jc1cell
on Jun 9, 2006 at 4:39:22 pm

Ok that's it!!!!

I think I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I'm not looking into pro NLE; I simply want o begin converting my vhs home movies (and any potential home based clients) into digital and authoring some dvds (either directly or via edit) so there really is no need for all this brainstorming. Is there?!!!

I'm going with the Pinnacle PCI 700 with Studio Pro 10.5. Se how that works out. Upgrade to 2gigs of RAM. If my 160 GB PATA 7200 RPM Hitachi Drive (for video only) does not provide adequate throughput I'll go ahead and move towards the 2 SATA Drives. That should provide enough umphh to get started.

If it turns out that the VIA chipset causes too much of a bottleneck allowing for too many droped frames, then I will upgrade to another board and CPU.

I should be able to get my feet wet with this plan and if I get any continous takers or some dude with a huge VHS home movie collection then I'll jump right in with the suggested system on this site.

Thanks for the advice....It was very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]