FORUMS: list search recent posts

Facilis volumes question

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
billy earle
Facilis volumes question
on Feb 8, 2013 at 4:57:42 pm

Long story short:

Is there a good reason why I shouldn't just use one huge volume? We have the 24D and for reasons too in-depth to explain here, it's currently set with one volume strictly for footage (basically capture scratch) and one volume for the project (project files, gfx, audio, etc.)

For sanity and easier archiving, I was thinking about just making one large volume with three folders - Active, Parked, Ready for Archive.

The 24D has four clients via fibre, Pro Res HQ (1080 and 720).

We've never used project-level volumes - it wouldn't work for our environment.

Seldom would all four clients be editing at the same time - mostly two, always different projects.

billy earle

Return to posts index

James McKenna
Re: Facilis volumes question
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:26:09 pm

Hi Billy,

There's no limit to the size of the volume you can create, we simply recommend smaller volumes for media management purposes, and the ability to lock off parts of the SAN from usage by all users.

Like Unity/ISIS, we don't use file/folder permissions within the volume itself (except when using our project manager for FCP/CS6), we permission the upper level volume. This is the easiest way to ensure seamless access without concern for ownership attributes through IT-based ACLs or POSIX permissions, and why we make it so simple to create, change and delete volumes in a project-based workflow. If you make one big volume, everyone can access everything. If someone is given Write permissions, they can also delete everything. There's some other reasons to avoid big volumes in an Avid post workflow, but if you're not using Avid it's not worth getting into that.

Also, we don't expect file system problems, but the larger the file system, the longer it will take to check the file system for errors. As you have an older 32bit system, file system checks are not done in the background as they are in Windows 7. You have a 24TB unit, so you'll have a little over 20TB of usable space to make a RAID5 volume. If you'd like to do this, get in touch with support and we can guide you through a short process to do that.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

billy earle
Re: Facilis volumes question
on Feb 8, 2013 at 5:41:52 pm

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, that's just what I was hoping to hear. We are an atypical production facility and have the need to have full access to all active projects from any suite. I say atypical, but bizzaro world may best describe it. As a result, I'm trying to figure out an easier way to manage all this data and make archiving more efficient.

Thanks again.
Billy

billy earle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]