FORUMS: list search recent posts

Facilis in the industry.

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jeffs
Facilis in the industry.
on Nov 3, 2012 at 5:16:00 am

I have been assigned to do a little research by my administrators into who in the industry is using a facilis as their primary platform? Primarily those in a mostly avid environment with other platforms mixed in, pro tools, after effects, compositing and color correction.

If any here are like this could you give me a quick heads up.

Also are there any hiccups or gotchas that happen when working with avids and this product?

Thanks.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Facilis in the industry.
on Nov 4, 2012 at 4:52:26 pm

http://www.facilis.com/casestudies.html

It works great with AVID.

Why isn't the engineer from your company calling Facilis directly for this information ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Nov 5, 2012 at 6:11:56 pm

On this project i have been assigned as the administrator and Engineer. I have been in contact with a Facilis re seller but i was hoping to get candid info from actual users.

Thanks for your help bob as i value your esteemed knowledge.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Nov 8, 2012 at 4:57:10 pm

We have 7 Avid MC (6 Windows 7 and 1 MAC) attached via Fiber to 2 units through a 16 port switch. We have had no problems for nearly 5 years when we left UNITY. Facilis continues to make improvements, especially with Shared Volumes function. You can resize partitions by increasing but you cannot decrease the volume size. Also when increasing a volume size there is a slight bug but a fairly simple workaround to get the local client computer to see the increased capacity of the volume.

As I write this, we are experiencing a couple of new issues. I do not believe they are a TerraBlock issue per say but I have not had time to properly diagnose these issues. One seems to be a bandwidth issue and the other (which may be directly related) is that we have started to "lose" connection to mounted volumes. We have made a couple of minor changes on local some local clients and we have increased our worload. We have one TerraBlock unti on XP and the other on Win 7 but have had that for a year without issues. We have not upgraded to a higher bandwidth capacity fiber switch.

I find that it is increasingly difficult to keep all the various components of a system "in sync" - meaning basically you must be very careful when trying to do and upgrade/update to any component of a system (softwares, drivers, OS, hardware - the list seems endless) - it can be an overwhelming task that requires several degrees and extensive knowledge in every area from IT, Engineering, Files and codecs, Avid - we are no longer editors, we are conformists!

At any rate, we have been very happy with Facilis.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Nov 9, 2012 at 9:11:11 pm

Ricky,

Thank you so much i very much appreciate real world information.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Nov 16, 2012 at 7:47:26 pm

Ricky - if you are available, I'd like to talk to you about your Facilis system. If you have time, shoot me an email at johnny@thinkck.com

Thanks

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Nov 27, 2012 at 8:03:34 pm

Ricky,

I'd like to grab a system event log from your server to check on the health and see if there is anything we can offer in terms of added stability.

You can get in touch with me at matt@facilis.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]