FORUMS: list search recent posts

Facilis and FCPX

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen Kellogg
Facilis and FCPX
on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:45:44 pm

I am running 20 FCPX workstations on a Facilis storage system. The Facilis has 3 mountable drives for the macs. One for Final Cut, one for Avid and one media drive where editors can put pictures, sounds, etc. Before installing the Facilis storage system there were little to no problems working on any of the stations. This was only a one or two week period, but since bringing the network into the picture there are multiple problems every day. Examples include, having to trash the layout preferences at different stations daily, people's projects become corrupt and I either have to pull out their project file from their backup folder and in some cases trash their project. At times someone will be working and then Final Cut suddenly won't save to the server any longer. The drives are still mounted. I can see them. I can even create folders. So I can both write and read. FCPX just doesn't want to anymore.
I miss Avid and Lanshare EX. I had my problems with it at times but, sheesh!

Return to posts index

James McKenna
Re: Facilis and FCPX
on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:31:14 pm

Hi Allen,

We'd like to be given the opportunity to help you with this problem. According to our records, there has never been a call or email to our support department on this issue. We stand behind the product and if you're seeing a problem with FCPX compatibility we need to know the details of your deployment so we can investigate. Please email support@facilis.com or call 1-978-562-7022 to speak with someone immediately.

Thanks in advance.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology

Return to posts index

Allen Kellogg
on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:49:38 pm

Upon further review it seems this is more of an FCPX problem than a Facilis problem. Apparently project files are becoming corrupt, through no fault of the server as far as I can tell, and when one project goes corrupt, no workstation can open FCPX at that point due to the fact that FCPX has to scan all the projects before opening. If a project is corrupt, it hangs on that project on all workstations during startup.

To get around this I've either had to pull projects out of the backup folder or in some cases just trash the project all together. So then began my search to find out why projects become corrupt in the first place. Turns out, there are a ton of things that can corrupt a project. I've turned background rendering off and that seems to have cut down on the instances thus far.

I no longer miss Lanshare EX. Now I just miss Avid.

Return to posts index

Allen Kellogg
on Oct 8, 2012 at 1:43:12 pm

So here is what seems to be the issue was. People were closing the program while rendering was going on in the background and they were removing SD cards from systems while FCPX was still importing footage. I have turned off background rendering on all of the systems and everyone has been notified to be sure all footage has finished transcoding on import before removing the SD card.
No problems since. Thanks to the Facilis team for keeping up with me here on this. Great customer support and a great product.

Return to posts index

Dustin Foster
on Nov 29, 2012 at 2:58:30 am

We love our Facilis and current setup, but we are at the EDGE wondering if we should upgrade to FCPX. I haven't been able to find anything that gives a 100% thumbs up that Terrablock works with FCPX - but quickly skimming this thread it seems it does? Is there any trick to setting it up? We usually have an assistant dumping footage onto our multi-write volume, and a graphics artist pulling assets as well as the editor (me) cutting away. If no one else is using the FCPX Event - can mulitple people still be using the same drive for music dumps, AE CS6 projects etc?

Return to posts index

Allen Kellogg
on Nov 30, 2012 at 2:21:51 pm

As far as I know, so long as you don't use the same project on 2 computers at the same time, you should be fine. We still are getting corrupted projects and events both on and off the network using FCPX. If you are thinking about going FCPX I would hold off as long as you possibly can. Honestly I've felt like we have been beta testing for them and they have been unable to give us any answers and keep saying that our setup is "unique" and they can't help us. Honestly, their program just isn't stable right now. Stick with using FCP 7 if you can. We are also running Avid MC here on the same workstations using Facilis and have had no problems there at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]