FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with the Terrablock 24D in a film school

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Ernesto Suarez
Problems with the Terrablock 24D in a film school
on Jul 6, 2017 at 3:18:30 am

Hi,

Our film school acquired a Terrablock 24D, 96TB, so the students can work their Avid Media Composer projects in different workstations but we are more than 200 students, and we can't create more than 120 users. ¿Is there a limit of users? The company that sold us the Terrablock never told us anything about a limit of users and we're pretty worried and angry. ¿Is Terrablock a bad solution for a film school? ¿Is there something we can do?

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Problems with the Terrablock 24D in a film school
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:44:53 am

Do you have more than 120 different computers trying to connect?

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ernesto Suarez
on Jul 6, 2017 at 11:56:49 am

No. The school only has 35 workstations but they wanted to give each student his/her own volume so they can save their projects, but there are more than 200 students. They found this "limit" of multi-users in the process of giving each student a volume.

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 6, 2017 at 12:35:56 pm

It is my understanding that the "user" also known as the "client" is the actual workstation (the computer) that logs into the system. You would have 35 of these users or clients which can be given the same or different permissions to access read/write or no access at all to the various volumes. It sounds like you want to create 200 "volumes", likely each having the name of each student. There may indeed be a limit to the number of volumes you can create ... I do not know about this as we have never exceeded 50. Do note that if you were able to create 200 volumes that you will not be able to limit each student to access only their volume ... those permissions are based on the user/client/computer/workstation ... in your case 35.

This is perhaps where you could teach students to learn to self-manage or be mindful of that aspect of post production ... to be able to mount only their volume and learn to specify their write volume inside of the edit software. In my experience, editors need to understand where their material is and how to "manage" that. It helps them understand how to troubleshoot or diagnose issues with media, media offline, and understand how to sort through their work on a much higher level, especially when moving into the real world where they will have multiple projects and massive amounts of media.

At any rate, I have not answered your question as to whether their is a limit to the number of volumes that can be created. It would appear from your request that there is a limit. I hope this works out for you. Possibly a work around would be to have two students assigned to a volume and learn to manage the MXF folders that can be named or numbered, realizing that at the end of their session they would need to move the new media created from the number 1 folder to their named or numbered folder ... or just allow all their media to be in the same folder ... Avid does a great job in managing and sorting the media on the project level!

Ricky

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Jul 6, 2017 at 1:01:29 pm

Hi Ricky - thanks for jumping in on this, always great to hear the workflow advice from a daily user of the system.

Ernesto, the limitation is 120 in the current release, but we're close to having a release that can support the number you're looking for. In Version 7, we no longer have a limit on user accounts, or the number of volumes that a workstation can mount, but we're still yet to fully qualify the larger number of overall volumes. Ricky does have some good advice though. In post, you're not always on an island, and teaching the students to be aware of their place in a shared environment is a good lesson. Most of our schools use class-based or workgroup-based volumes, and only create individual volumes for senior projects or special events. School of Visual Arts in NY is a good example of this. They have a large Facilis infrastructure and I can get you in touch with the users there if you like.

Ricky, you should check out version 7. Web Console changes the way permissions are kept and it's much more flexible, allowing desktop users, LDAP users and internal server database users to be logged in simultaneously, for supplemental access when needed.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Ernesto Suarez
on Jul 8, 2017 at 2:25:26 pm

Thanks for your answers but it's still a serious problem for us. We perfectly understand that post is a team effort but, in this particular case, especially for the students of the first semesters, each student prepare their own project. For example, the students in "Film editing level 1" prepare their own footage and then edit that, and they are over 40 students; and then we have the students of "Film Directing level 1" who use the Avid Media Composer to edit their mini-movie that they have to present to the teacher, and they are 30 more different students. The point is, we were never warned about this limitation, and we were very clear about the way the school wanted to work. Contrary to the school in NY, we need more individual volumes because they begin to work as a group, in specific projects, in the last semesters.

You probably think, why don't create a volume "Film editing level 1" so that each student work in that volume creating their own particular bins. Inside that volume we find, for example, a bin named Wendy, other named Roger, and so on. We tried that and had a problem with a couple students. So here's my question, is there a way to password protect a bin inside a particular a volume? Using my example, Wendy can save her work in her own bin, inside the volume of the class, but Roger can't get into her bin and destroyed her work intentionally, because he had to know the password. Is it possible? That way, we could "eliminate" the individual multi-users Wendy and Roger, and there is only the multi-user "Film Editing 1" that serves to 30 students at the same time.

We need this help. We are pretty worried and angry, like I said, we were never warned about this limitation and we are starting to feel conned.

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Jul 10, 2017 at 2:14:39 pm

Hi Ernesto,

I understand your frustration. This is why we are increasing the number of volumes, and this change is in development. A small percentage of our users will need this feature, but for those that do, it's very important. Knowing the reseller that services your account, I don't think the information about the limitation was withheld intentionally, and this was likely just a miscommunication. Are you preparing the system for deployment in the coming semester? When does that start?

With the promise to keep the forum informed about the progress of this request, perhaps we can take the ongoing conversation offline? I can be reached at james@facilis.com.

Thanks,

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]