FORUMS: list search recent posts

[info] Expand Terrablock: renew all the HDD

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michele Gaudiano
[info] Expand Terrablock: renew all the HDD
on Apr 17, 2015 at 12:02:33 pm

Hi there,
I need to expand my Terrablock 24D from 2TB HDDs to 4GB HDDs.
Have you experience in that?
Is it possible to simply bakup my files and change hard drives or I need to buy the very expensive expansion from facilis?

Thanks

Michele

Return to posts index

James McKenna
Re: [info] Expand Terrablock: renew all the HDD
on Apr 20, 2015 at 2:29:40 pm

Hi Michele,

Depending on the age of the system, your best option may be a TX16 expansion instead of a drive replacement. This avoids the data movement necessary when changing drives and will give you a larger total capacity, with the TX16 units starting at 32TB. Alternately you can get a similar nearline TX16 unit at an even lower cost, in RAID5 or RAID6 configurations.

Thanks,

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Michele Gaudiano
on Apr 21, 2015 at 10:29:16 am

Hi James,

we had a chance to buy a stock of HGST 4TB 7k4000, so we would like to understand if is it possible to simply replace the disks in order to increase the amount of space of the SAN. If it will be possible there's some specific procedures to do it?

thanks

Michele

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Apr 21, 2015 at 1:38:51 pm

Hi Michele,

TerraBlock is a turn-key system and as such, only Facilis drives are approved for the job. We wouldn't be able to publish accurate stream counts, provide block-level virtualization or software RAID performance with off-the-shelf drives. I'm sorry you already made the investment, perhaps we can discuss a way to use those drives in a commodity enclosure as an offload/nearline location.

Thanks,

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Bart van den Broek
on Dec 10, 2015 at 9:08:10 pm

Hi Michelle,

I'm considering the same kind of renewing drives on a terrablock. Did you proceed swap the drives with the ones you bought and did you have any trouble?
Thanks,

Bart

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]