FORUMS: list search recent posts

TerraBlock Volumes & Project Organization

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Dorough
TerraBlock Volumes & Project Organization
on Dec 7, 2014 at 8:18:41 pm

We just installed a new TerraBlock 24D and assigned user accounts for all of our editors and producers. Previously on our old storage system, each editor worked on his own volume (volume-level sharing.) Producers weren't even connected. It worked ok, but projects tended to get fragmented across multiple volumes as different editors worked them.

We've now moved to TerraBlock's file-level sharing, and I'm trying to determine the best way to organize our projects. My first thought and preferred way of working is to create a volume for each of our clients. Within each volume would reside a very organized folder structure containing separate folders for each of that client's projects. This way, all of the files for a project (media, AE, PP, PS projects, scripts, storyboards, invoices, etc.) will be stored in one project folder. So one volume per client containing all of their projects until they're moved to nearline storage or LTO.

With so many projects, I really want to avoid having one volume per project - especially since the length of the volume name is limited and could make finding a project confusing.

I would love to hear your feedback on this architecture. Pros & cons? Better ways of working? Is this good organization when looking forward to archiving?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: TerraBlock Volumes & Project Organization
on Dec 8, 2014 at 3:37:19 pm

In my experience, especially for archiving/storage, you are better off with a volume per project. Any client/editor can then work on that project and is best for archiving/storage because you can eliminate consolidate unless you already do that to save space. We always want to return to the archived footage and we have the option of relinking original files in a new edit or accessing Avid Media which has already been transcoded. We do find we must be creative in volume naming per the name length limitation. We currently have about 32 projects, therefore about 32 volumes. We have a dedicated, mirrored, multi-write volume of about 100GB for all projects - just project/bin information and our project volumes contain all assets including Avid media which gets archived.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Bob Dorough
on Dec 9, 2014 at 1:30:22 am

Thanks Ricky. Given the limited characters that can be used in a volume name (and I don't even know what that is for TerraBlock - I just know no spaces allowed) can you give me a for-instance example of how you do yours?

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 9, 2014 at 2:42:48 pm

I thought the limit was 11 but I counted the longest we have and it is 16. That said I believe we still sometimes get an error when naming that long.

We use acronyms and keywords to name and often use the underscore for separation. If underscore makes name too long we separate using upper and lower case. Like a project about West Africa honey bees for the Disovery Channel - we would name "DISC_Bees" or "DiscoveryBees". We have never found something we could all not make sense of or quickly figure out what partition to mount, especially because in naming partitions we use a very shortened version of the actual Avid project name.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Dec 9, 2014 at 2:47:38 pm

I will add that we have a "white paper" for every video we edit (this can be digital or hard copy). Reason for every video is because we often start with a project name and partition and end up with 3 or more actual videos, versions or masters. On this white paper with the name of the video is the Avid Project name and the partition name. We found this to be invaluable when using freelance contractors who come in to work on something already established.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Bob Dorough
on Dec 10, 2014 at 7:27:52 pm

Thank you Ricky. Your input really helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]