FORUMS: list search recent posts

ethernet vs. fiber

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Cable
ethernet vs. fiber
on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:05:36 pm

Greetings,
We have two Terrablock systems which we've been using for the last year and half. So far, they are working great. However, our lead editorial today asked me about making it faster in regards to saving bins in Media Composer. Our servers are only used for Media Composer. Hundreds of bins and project sizes of 15GB+.

When we had purchased our Terrablock systems we used our existing older 4Gb fiber from our older Avid Unity. Opening and closing bin took too long so we tested using ethernet and found it more responsive. So we moved all users (about 10 MC systems on mac) to ethernet.

While we found that the largest improvement in bin speed was limiting the number of folders in the MXF folder on the storage volumes, I thought I'd look for other solutions as well.

So, if we upgraded all our systems to 8Gb or 16Gb fiber or even 10Ge ethernet would our editors see an improvement in bin opening and closing? We cut only in DNxHD36 but really use a lot of video and audio tracks. Would the IOPS from storage to client improve over fiber or 10Ge?

Anyone have any ideas of the performance difference between 1Gb ethernet and more current fiber solutions?

Thanks.

-Trevor Cable

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: ethernet vs. fiber
on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:47:13 pm

I also am in the same situation and would love to hear a reply!

Ricky

Return to posts index

Ryan Ackland
on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:57:45 pm

Upgrading to an 8Gb or 16Gb, you would definitely see an improvement. Your terrablocks are not that old and if you upgrade to one of these you will see results. We deal with this all the time with our customers.
Storage to client would also improve with 10Ge.

Let me know if I can help you guys out in any way.

Ryan
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Nov 17, 2014 at 8:52:18 pm

Hi Trevor,

Before you spend on new hardware let's figure out if the slowdown could be coming from somewhere else. We have best practices when it comes to project location and settings that will help avoid some of the lag problems that exist with larger projects. Give support a call to be sure your project structure is optimized, and if you still experience lag I'd suggest RJ45 10Gb copper. It's a popular choice for new installs due to speed and cost.

Thanks,

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]