FORUMS: list search recent posts

Facilis and 10GbE kicks ass

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Facilis and 10GbE kicks ass
on Aug 20, 2014 at 11:04:31 pm

Hi -
I just installed a 10GbE upgrade (with ATTO NT12 and Netgear XS712T switch) onto a Facilis Terrablock 24D today, with the wonderful excellent assistance of Jeremy at Tech Support at Facilis.

1) buy your tech support if you own a Facilis - it is worth every penny.
2) if you have ATTO Fibre Channel cards, throw them in the garbage and buy the 10G upgrade kit, and your connection speeds will DRAMATICALLY increase (unless you are lucky enough to own the 16G fibre stuff with corresponding switch.

What a wonderful product. (done at Adrenaline Films, Orlando, FL. ).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

jerome ternoy
Re: Facilis and 10GbE kicks ass
on Aug 27, 2014 at 1:14:36 pm

Hi Bob,

thanks for your feedback.

Can you share the bandwith you get from a single computer connected to the storage using 10Gb ?

How many client computers are installed with this set-up ? Do you use 10Gb to the switch then 1Gb from the switch to the computers ?

Thanks

Jerome

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 3, 2014 at 10:30:45 pm

most computers are connected via Fibre Channel thru a QLogic 1400 switch. We added an ATTO NT12 card into the 24D chassis. There are two clients (both new Mac Pro's with thunderbolt 2 SanLink2 boxes) connected to the Netgear XS712T switch. I am getting about 900 MB/sec. Dramatically more than the FC connections. There are three media types being used on the same 24D - 1GbE, Fibre, and now 10GbE.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tom Balkwill
on Sep 6, 2014 at 4:51:50 pm

Hi Bob,

I'm taking an interest in this box for my grading space in London, Dirty Looks. My question is, is anyone using it for DI grading, not just editorial? I'd like to connect a couple of Mac Pros to do 2K DPX playback, or 4K DPX on one Mac Pro. Also connected would be a couple of Baselight boxes (Linux) for push and pull of data.

In your experience, does this box suit a small number of workstations but running at breakneck speeds, bearing in mind (of course) DPX or TIFF image sequences are a lot harder to produce that sort of bandwidth than QT / MXF?

Our existing infrastructure is 10gbE over CX4 and Fibre. So FC is not really of interest.

Thanks in advance,
Tom.

http://dirtylooks.co.uk
independent feature film grading theatre
screening room, online edit & DCP mastering
soho, london

Return to posts index

jerome ternoy
on Sep 9, 2014 at 12:58:21 pm

Hi Bob,

thansks for your detailed answer.

Looks like you reach the max bandwith you can get with a single, fully populated 24D, right ?

Cheers,

Jerome

Return to posts index

Kendall Kaiser
on Oct 12, 2015 at 9:03:34 pm
Last Edited By Kendall Kaiser on Oct 12, 2015 at 9:09:03 pm

There are ways to spread the load over multiple chassis, but Facilis support would be the best bet for configuration details.

We currently run all of our post production off of 3 Facilis 24D's. Max bandwidth per server is about 950MB/s... that gets even higher if you have one of the 24D-HA models that use 4 SD drives along with the 7200RPM HDs.

That's MB, not Mb, so to achieve that from a single client, you'd have to have 40Gb ethernet. Your max would probably be around 110MB/s in real world applications.

Good luck, and please publish results here!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]