FORUMS: list search recent posts

8TB+ Volumes on a Terrablock?

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Gilmour
8TB+ Volumes on a Terrablock?
on Aug 4, 2014 at 2:33:29 pm

Just wondering if anyone is doing this successfully? I seem to recall this function being around for awhile, but was a bit buggy and scared me away from it when we first got our Terrablock 3 years ago.

Now I'm wondering with all the improvements over the years, especially the latest 6.0 update, are volumes larger than 8TB as solid as normal volumes under 8TB? The 8TB limitation is a bit annoying, but not annoying enough for me to risk any data to get around.

Return to posts index

James McKenna
Re: 8TB+ Volumes on a Terrablock?
on Aug 4, 2014 at 3:38:30 pm

Hi Chad,

I'd like others to respond with their experience as users, but from our standpoint, volumes over 8TB are very common these days. There are some compatibility issues with over-8TB volumes when sharing in block-level mode, but that particular workflow is atypical, and the compatibility is much better than it was.

In the past, we required a different method to create volumes of that size which included some manual operations in Disk Management. We wanted to avoid any potential human error in volume creation, so we stuck to 8TB as a soft limitation. In the latest versions, that process is more automated.

In short, there are no known stability problems with larger volumes, but TerraBlock remains more functional with smaller, project-based volumes. Simple user permissions, media management and resource tracking are among the benefits.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Aug 4, 2014 at 7:34:54 pm

Is there a performance hit when using the larger volumes?

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Aug 4, 2014 at 9:16:41 pm

There should be no difference in performance. It's always a good idea to run a speed test on newly-created volumes, as there is an occasional issue where larger volumes (volumes using a number of smaller members and ranges in virtualized space) can show disparity in speed as compared to other volumes in the same drive set. Simply re-creating the volume will normally fix this.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Chad Gilmour
on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:23:28 pm

Good to know, well maybe I'll experiment with it. It's good to know it's becoming more common. Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]