FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thoughts on 2008 Facilis 24D and Mountain Lion

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Hensley
Thoughts on 2008 Facilis 24D and Mountain Lion
on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:31:27 am

First of all, let me apologize for this long post. Second of all, I am more interested in generalized thoughts as opposed to feedback regarding a specific issue, so any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome.

I started working recently in the post-production department inside an agency in LA. I won't bore you with the details of my department, but it's basically a turnkey startup within the agency. The goal is to basically make it a post-house. There was a hybrid post/AV facility there in the past, so the agency used to have a crew of 5-6 people who were (literally) around for decades, but they all left for various reasons. All of that to say, my partner and I have inherited a facility where, while most things are working, we are unfamiliar with some parts of the infrastructure and have no one to ask about why some things were installed the way they were.

One of the items they have is (what I now know to be) a Facilis 24D over a fiber network. When I first arrived freelancing there (before I was hired), it was used primarily as an archive to store old spots, not for shared editing. By the time I was hired and the old crew had left, the machine was shut off. I was told by our IT department that the reason was because it was a 10-year-old machine and our Macs (which had recently been updated to Mountain Lion) would no longer have write-access.

Calling shenanigans on IT's analysis, I reached out to Facilis today and discovered two things. First, the machine was purchased in 2008, not 2003 (they still had a record of the order in their system). Second, the problem was indeed that there was no write-access to the drive after OSX Leopard, but there could be if there was a RAM upgrade and a Firmware update. The person in support though didn't have all of the details, and referred me to another department where they had closed for the day. I am waiting them to call back tomorrow.

The reason I am writing this is twofold. First, I am not that familiar with Facilis servers. What, based on what I have told you, would be your analysis of my situation? This machine seemed to be in good working order when I was freelancing there and it was turned on, but they used it for archiving. I want to use it as a Unity-type device to share media between bays (currently we are working on local drives... a big pain), so do you think this machine is worth keeping, or should I pursue the purchase of another shared network? How much has the 24D changed over the past five years?

Second, what questions should I ask the Facilis rep when we get in touch?

Any and all help, thoughts, and comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.jshensley.com

Return to posts index

James McKenna
Re: Thoughts on 2008 Facilis 24D and Mountain Lion
on Nov 19, 2013 at 5:50:31 pm

Hi Jonathan,

That's a shame. Valuable systems can go unused due to bad information somewhere along the line. Your TerraBlock is a 24EX 9TB server. It’s low in capacity by today’s standards, but can be upgraded to a higher capacity either through drive replacement or expansion. To simply use the 9TB you have, you can upgrade to the latest software, but I would also suggest a 64bit OS upgrade to allow you to move onto version 6, shipping next month. Up until version 6, we have never obsoleted a server regardless of age. That's almost 10 years of backward compatibility!

I've sent a personal reply to your inquiry directly as well, so give me a call when you can.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Dec 4, 2013 at 8:40:29 pm

What I will say is that Terrablock is the backbone of our facility. We have over 20 different rooms - edit, audio, color correct, duplication - attached. Mac and PC.

We ask it to do things it was never really intended for and it works.

The company is great. They will be able to help you out.

Highly recommended.

Jef

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensley
on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:36:10 am

Thanks for the reply Jef.

UPDATE: I'm happy to say that we got the TerraBlock serviced by Facilis and up and running. In just a short week's time, it has completed changed our workflow, all for the better.

My only regret is not looking into the issue sooner.

Thanks for all of your help Jim!

http://www.jshensley.com

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Dec 9, 2013 at 2:20:48 pm

Happy we could help, Jonathan! And thanks for the kind words Jef, great to hear that coming from a major facility like yours.

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]