FORUMS: list search recent posts

Terrablock won't eject

COW Forums : Facilis Technology

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Crutsinger
Terrablock won't eject
on Feb 21, 2013 at 7:21:48 pm

I have a 10.8.2 system running TerraBlock Manager 5.7. ATTO Celerity FC-82EN fibre connections.

I have some read-only volumes mounted that refuse to go away. I've used TerraBlock Manager to Unmount and it says "An error occurred trying to eject [volume name]. When I try to eject in the Finder, it says "The disk "[volume name]" wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it." with the option to Force Eject. If I do that, it does, and then the drive pops right back up.

I quit TerraBlock Manager and it says it's dismounting everything, but it closes down and all the drives come right back up.

I've removed TerraBlock Manager from the login items, shut down the computer and pulled the fibre. When I booted, they were gone of course, but as soon as I plugged the fibre back in, the drives all popped up again, and that's without TerraBlock Manager even running.

They rebooted the Facilis this morning but that didn't fix it. This has been going on for a few days now.

Sam Crutsinger
Media Kingpin/CTO
Confidence Bay

Return to posts index

Sam Crutsinger
Re: Terrablock won't eject
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:02:19 pm

Well... I found a work around of sorts. In the Finder, I told it to eject the volume, and it asked me to Force Eject. I went ahead and forced it. Now, once the drive went away, before it reappeared, I jumped into TerraBlock Manager and told it to unmount the volume. At that point it warns that it can't see the volume and that ejecting it may cause damage. If I OK that warning, the volume stays gone.

It takes a little timing to do it, but it worked. It definitely feels like a digital version of smacking the side of an old TV.

Sam Crutsinger
Media Kingpin/CTO
Confidence Bay

Return to posts index

James McKenna
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:09:15 pm

Hi Sam,

You found the workaround. Now, why does the OS think there's something happening on the volume so it can't eject normally? Sounds like this is Single-user Write because the volume reappeared after a reboot (unless TB Manager is in your login items). Often we find that Antivirus can latch onto devices and keep them from being unmounted. Anything like that running?

Ever thought about using Multi-user Write volumes?

Jim McKenna
Facilis Technology
978-562-7022 x101

Return to posts index

Sam Crutsinger
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:35:15 pm

[James McKenna] "Ever thought about using Multi-user Write volumes?
"

Hey Jim

Yeah, we have a few Multi-user Write volumes on the Facilis, but our current backup system is Retrospect and they haven't found a way to get that to backup multi-user volumes. I'm kinda coming in here to tweak and improve the tech around here and I haven't gotten to look at that issue, but I think if they could get past that Retrospect glitch, then we would probably make EVERYTHING multi-user.

Sam Crutsinger
Media Kingpin/CTO
Confidence Bay

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:06:07 pm

Sam,

Try force ejecting the volumes. Before they come back issue the unmount in the manager.

What driver version are you running for the fibre card?

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:08:26 pm

whoops. didn't see your response.

Check the driver anyhow it could be the reason you got in that state.

Return to posts index

Sam Crutsinger
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:21:34 pm

[Matthew Mullen] "Check the driver anyhow it could be the reason you got in that state.
"

ATTO Celerity FC 8 driver version is 2.0.3 so that's current.

I have noticed that I haven't been able to get Time Machine to work on this system. I was trying to set it up to only back up the boot drive to another internal drive, but it just eternally said it was looking for the TM volume but never actually would start the backup.

I did get that to work if I booted up the Mac with the fibre unplugged, but once I plugged it back in, TimeMachine wouldn't do it's incremental backup any more. The unmounting problem was happening before I started messing with TimeMachine though, and it persisted regardless of if TM was on or off.

Sam Crutsinger
Media Kingpin/CTO
Confidence Bay

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:33:58 pm

Can you launch the smmanager (red facilis icon) on the server and hit l.

Then send the output to matt@facilis.com

Return to posts index

Sam Crutsinger
on Feb 22, 2013 at 8:17:13 pm

Matt found the culprit for me.

In the ATTO ConfigTool, under the NVRAM tab, Connection Mode was set to PTP Preferred.
It needed to be Point-to-Point(PTP).

Once I made that change, the volumes are mounting and unmounting like a champ.

Sam Crutsinger
Media Kingpin/CTO
Confidence Bay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]