FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is making my project file so large?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark Morache
What is making my project file so large?
on Nov 20, 2011 at 10:58:52 pm

I've been very happy with the snappy response of FCX, but for some reason on this project, it's acting sluggish and I'm seeing way too many beach balls.

Has anyone figured out any issues with the project size getting substantially larger than normal?

I'm talking about only the CurrentVersion.fcpproject file, not the renders, or anything else.

Most of my routinely complicated edits for a 4-5 minute story will be between 20-25mb.

I've been working on my edit for an hour or two, and it's already at 98mb! This is making the response time very slow.

I don't believe this is an issue with the media files, or the computer or the memory. I believe it's simply a matter of the edit list and how it's stored. Obviously something I'm doing is making the project file large.

My timeline index right now shows I only have 36 items, so there aren't an unusual number of edits. My 36 items total 7 1/2 minutes of footage in a 3:45 timeline. That's not a lot.

There are no audio keyframes yet. There are no video effects. There are no color effects. But somehow the project file is comparitively huge.

I basically have two 20 minute clips in my event. I have opened each one up in timeline view and applied the loudness enhancement to two of the four audio channels. I've also added 5 markers to each clip and applied a keyword or two.

I looked at the last story I edited. There were 140 items for about 9 minutes of media in the timeline index, for a timeline length of 4 1/2 minutes, with split edits, video and audio effects and audio fades, and the currentversion.fcpproject file for that is only 20mb.

Here's another glimpse at something telling: Starting with a clean project and freshly imported clips. With nothing in the timeline, the project file is only 61kb. I place one minute of footage in the timeline, and the project size goes to 106kb. I use the blade tool to split the clip into two, and the project size goes to 156kb.

I place the same length of clip in the timeline from the same clip, but the original import that I've since modified by opening the clip in timeline view and modifying the audio. Now the one minute clip makes the project file 1.9 mb

I'm trashing my work and starting fresh.

I look to the forum for possible things to avoid.

---------
FCX. She tempts me, abuses me, beats me up, makes me feel worthless, then in the end she comes around, helps me get my work done, gives me hope and I can't stop thinking about her.

Mark Morache
Avid/Xpri/FCP7/FCX
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]