FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sustaining a music chord

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Thomas
Sustaining a music chord
on Apr 26, 2020 at 5:05:54 pm

I have a piece of music but the last chord is cut off a bit abruptly. Is there a way of sustaining (making longer) that chord using FCPX (or some other software) so that I can do the fade myself?

Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Sustaining a music chord
on Apr 26, 2020 at 9:04:17 pm

Probably the only way is to grab a section of the chord that works as a loop and paste it a few times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It all depends what’s happening musical in and around the chord. Alternatively, you might throw a bit of reverb on the last note to add some sustain and a longer decay to fool the ear into thinking the final chord lasts a bit longer than it does.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Evan Fitzer
on Apr 27, 2020 at 12:43:22 am

Brian, I'm wondering if this might be of some use...a handy little tutorial from an episode of Mac Break Studio from the guys at Ripple Training...

Evan Fitzer
Kamloops, BC

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on Apr 27, 2020 at 3:42:25 pm

Thanks SO much for the ideas gentlemen - much appreciated. I tried all sorts of different lengths of loops cut in slightly different places and I used a good selection of effects but there was always an underlying echo sort of sound to one degree or another. You know what I hit on in the end - I just retimed the actual chord to 50% of the normal speed. It kept the pitch (of course) and sounds perfect! Really happy, clever FCPX!

Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Apr 27, 2020 at 4:12:00 pm

I've had this issue several times in projects where I just needed that last note or chord to hold a little longer. No amount of features in FCP X did what I needed to make it sound natural. Ultimately I went into Logic Pro X, recreated the sound for that one note or chord (as close as possible/passable), exported the audio file, then imported/edited that into my cut. Each situation may be unique though depending on the note/chord being played and for how long in the original, along with the attack on those notes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]