FORUMS: list search recent posts

My audio clips turned into grey bars!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Paredes
My audio clips turned into grey bars!
on Apr 21, 2020 at 7:38:04 pm

Yesterday I finished editing a simple video with 1 video track and 4 tracks of audio listed as follows:

1. Original English dialog (used as reference for timing the new Spanish dialog track).
2. New Spanish dialog.
3. Effects.
4. Ambiance sound.

Today when I opened the FCPX Library I noticed that all clips of the Spanish dialog had become some sort of grey bars (see yellow arrows in screenshot).

I also noticed that the link to the Spanish media is broken. However, no matter what I do, I cannot re-link it. Never had this happen before.

Also, notice on the screenshot the red arrow pointing to "Show Audio Animation" in the contextual menu. This proves that they used to be audio clips.

Furthermore, selecting one of the grey clips in question still shows all the audio filters and other settings in the inspector.

The only difference between the Spanish dialog clips and the rest is that these are the only clips to which I've applied speed changes (also seen on screenshot).

This doesn't give me too much confidence in FCPX.

I'm using FCPX version 10.4.4 (Build version 330236) under Catalina 10.15.4.

Am I going crazy or has anyone ever experienced this before?

Xavier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: My audio clips turned into grey bars!
on Apr 21, 2020 at 11:03:46 pm

Open your timeline index.

Click on the Roles tab.

Check the Appropriate Role back on, it looks like you disabled it whatever Role was assigned to those clips.

Return to posts index

Xavier Paredes
Re: My audio clips turned into grey bars!
on Apr 22, 2020 at 2:08:15 am

Thanks for your reply Jeremy.

Strangely, I was not able to re-assign roles to that audio. I just wouldn't let me. BUT, even though I didn't find out exactly what the problem was I did manage to make it work. Here's what I did:

From the Finder, I dragged that same audio file (which is in WAV format) into my library. Immediately I noticed that the yellow triangle disappeard! BUT, the audio clips were still grey bars in the timeline.

Out of a hunch, I quit FCPX, relaunched and Voila! The grey bars became the beautiful blue again!

I suspect that there is something funky with the WAV audio file. I recommend to anyone having this issue to convert the WAV to AIFF and work with that instead.

I wanted to report back in case this helps anyone in the future (if it does please leave kudos).

Stay safe mates!

Xavier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]