FORUMS: list search recent posts

50fps to 25fps?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara Blom
50fps to 25fps?
on Mar 30, 2020 at 3:00:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a documentaryfilm using the Sony A6500. I have shot some footage in 50fps (pal/European standard) . Now I'm not sure anymore if this is a good choice and should consider switching to 25fps.

Is there a disadvantage shooting in 50fps? Or is it simply just better and more general to shoot in 25fps?

And secondly, will this create a problem working in FCPX with two frame rates/ or with changing the 50fps to 25fps?

thanks !!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: 50fps to 25fps?
on Mar 30, 2020 at 4:25:29 pm

50fps will have less motion blur and let you slow the footage to 50% without interpolation. It will take twice the space of 25fps. But unless I specifically need the advantages of shooting off speed, I tend to stick to shooting in the delivery format.

FCPX will cope fine with mixed frame rates.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Sara Blom
on Mar 30, 2020 at 8:28:17 pm

Thanks Jeff !

Just to be sure, from the perspective of sticking to delivery format it would be best to switch to 25 fps for most of the footage?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Mar 30, 2020 at 9:21:55 pm

Shooting at 25fps would be the way I’d go unless I made a conscious decision to switch to 50 for one of the reasons mentioned above. Eg. I know I want to slow the shot down later or maybe I want to reduce the motion blur and add some clarity to a fast moving object.

It’s really a technical and aesthetic choice on your part. FCPX will cope with whichever you choose.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]