FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX footage brighter than original

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rishabh Rajan
FCPX footage brighter than original
on Mar 9, 2020 at 1:45:58 am

Hi Everyone,
I recently had this really odd issue. Footage recorded on my Sony A7iii looks much brighter in FCPX. This is without any processing. The footage looks fine in QuickTime or Preview or even ScreenFlow. Just dragging the footage into FCP X looks much brighter than normal. I cleared out all the cache and reset FCPX. I also restarted the computer but this issue is still there. Never had this before. Could be something to do with the picture profile I'm recording at? Is there some meta data in the file that FCP is reading and adjusting brightness automatically?
Please help!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: FCPX footage brighter than original
on Mar 9, 2020 at 2:12:09 pm

Depending on the picture profile you are using, FCP X may have applied an automatic LUT to your footage. So it would be useful to know what picture profile you have used.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Rishabh Rajan
on Mar 9, 2020 at 4:47:04 pm

Hi Ronny,
Yes, It turns out it was based on the picture profile. I'm not sure which one, maybe no.2. I was playing around with that and discovered some PPs don't have that effect in FCP. But I also discovered the LUT selection option in FCP for individual clips and I saw it was set to none for that original clip. How come the brightness was still being adjusted?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
on Mar 11, 2020 at 9:03:52 am

Just an idea.

Perhaps FCPx is displaying the footage correct and the 'other ones' are wrong ?

Pro Color Monitor - Get Your Color Balance Right
Get it on the AppStore Today->

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/pro-color-monitor/id1495383011?l=en&mt=12

Return to posts index

Rishabh Rajan
on Mar 11, 2020 at 3:23:41 pm

if its wrong then why does it match QuickTime, the Spacebar preview, VLC etc.? Even the preview in the camera didn't look this bright. FCPX is definitely doing something to the clip. I switch to a LOG profile and it stopped but I have been using this Sony A7III for almost a year and never had this issue. I can't remember if I've used all Picture Profiles but definitely haven't experienced this before.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Mar 11, 2020 at 3:49:28 pm

One of the things that mystifies me about FCPX is that there doesn't seem to be a way to set the timeline viewer gamma and therefore I don't really know what I'm looking at. In Resolve, for example, if I want to deliver to the web I can select Rec709 gamma 2.2 for my timeline and I also set my calibrated reference monitor to those settings. These look entirely different from what I see in Quicktime, which is to be expected (Quicktime has well-documented gamma issues).

Gamma 2.2 is used for computer monitors and is the "brightest" and highest-contrast gamma you'd be using since computer monitors are normally used in brightly lit spaces such as offices. Gamma 2.4 has less contrast and appears a bit darker since it's meant for HDTVs, which are usually viewed in darker locations like a living room in the evening. Cinema is gamma 2.6, I believe, which is viewed in entirely dark controlled environments. The choice of gamma makes a noticeable difference in your footage but I've never seen a way to specify that in FCPX the way you can in Resolve, although I haven't looked very hard. I suspect Final Cut chooses the gamma for you based on the delivery destination when it comes time to render your project.

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
on Mar 11, 2020 at 4:45:26 pm

Brad,

you could just use a gamma plug in FCPX and add or subtract to get where you wanna go.
Know this isn't ideal but such features I just don't see happening in FCPX. But file a suggestion with Apple - perhaps its out lucky day !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Color Monitor - Get Your Color Balance Right
Get it on the AppStore Today-> Pro Color Monitor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]