FORUMS: list search recent posts

Switching between projects?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Switching between projects?
on Feb 5, 2020 at 2:49:58 pm

So I have a video I'm working on. It involves multiple interviews and b-roll.

I created 2 projects(timelines) so I could add timecode and send them to the client. The goal is to have the client select the soundbites and order of clips.

The client has made the selections, and I'd like to create a new project(timeline) with the as the client requested. Obviously I can't work on the project, because gaps will be closed, and the timecode numbers the client identified will no longer apply.

My thought is to have 2 projects open and just copy the identified clips from the time coded project to the new project. Of course FCPX does not allow for that.

What would be YOUR workflow to accomplish this edit?

Thanks so much!!

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Switching between projects?
on Feb 5, 2020 at 3:03:56 pm

First off I'd take a snapshot of it as-is.

Seems like this kind of thing is what Roles and Auditions are for? I could be wrong...

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Feb 5, 2020 at 3:30:35 pm

Thanks Mark.

I always snapshot projects. I have no idea how roles and auditions would help.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2020 at 5:50:07 pm

I'm sure you know, but the Projects work like a Browser with forward and back, and there's kb shortcuts to use them (it's called Timeline History in the shortcut editor with command-brackets being the default command).

So you can open the original timeline with tc, then open the new timeline, and then browse back and forth. You can also use the arrows at the top of the Project area (surrounding the timecode readout).

Another option would be to copy/and paste the select at the end of the timecode timeline, then cut and paste those in to a new Project once you've gathered all the selects.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 5, 2020 at 6:50:52 pm

I do this all the time and it's easy in FCPX.
The only gotcha is if you are using different Libraries with different mount points.
You tend to duplicate a lot of data when moving things around.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Feb 5, 2020 at 7:45:11 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kirkland on Feb 5, 2020 at 7:48:30 pm

I do this regularly for a couple of clients.

Assuming you added timecode as a generator or plugin to the timeline rather than just burning it in on the render, if you make a compound clip of the timeline and work with that, the original timeline's timecode will continue to apply no matter how you cut it up, so you can always see on the screen that you've got the right segment in the right place.

From there, I just scrub the compound clip in the Browser, select the timecode as per the client's instructions and edit it into a new timeline.

Once the edit is done you can either break the compound clip apart on the new timeline and delete the timecode or just enter the compound and temporarily disable it if you think you might need it to check things again.

Hope that made sense. It's way early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]