FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage Shot Vertically--how to flip in browser

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hadley
Footage Shot Vertically--how to flip in browser
on Feb 4, 2020 at 6:36:14 pm

Hey Folks

Just starting work on a 4K project that was shot vertically for vertical/portrait mode delivery on corporate theatre screens.

First question: can I/how do I flip the footage in the browser 90 degrees so it's got the proper vertical orientation?

I've done some searching but so far, nothing. The workaround I've come up with: pull all the clips into a timeline, rotate them, then make individual compound clips. Now, I can scroll/view the compound clips in the browser with proper vertical orientation.

It works but seems stupid. Any other options? Would seem like a basic setting, no?

Also: any general best practices for vertical/portrait editing and delivery?

Thanks as always!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Footage Shot Vertically--how to flip in browser
on Feb 4, 2020 at 7:25:30 pm

In the browser, you can choose clip>open clip and you'll have access to the video and audio components. You can access all the transform controls from there. You'll have to do this clip by clip and it won't affect anything you've already put in a timeline.

Why aren't they showing vertical in the browser? When I shoot vertical my camera knows I'm shooting vertical and flags as such.

Anyway, the above is one option. Your compound idea is the other. Neither optimal.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Feb 4, 2020 at 7:41:57 pm

Thanks, Bret (actually have a few of your plugs).

That is excellent advice.

That said, to see the full clip in the browser, I need to rotate -90, scale it down 55%.

Then, when I pull into my (flipped) 2160x4096 timeline, I need to scale it up 190%.

I'm assuming that will use up a lot of system resources when editing.

With the compound clip, I need to rotate -90, scale it up 190%. But then in the time line, it's the right size. Although, because it's in a compound clip, that probably eats up system resources.

Wonder which method is lighter/faster on the system??

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 5, 2020 at 3:06:48 pm

I take a different tack here and "pre-modify" these clips in a separate project into something I want to use in the actual project timeline. I might use Motion or FCPX for that.

The question that arises for me is making sure the final output is properly going to display on those vertical display screens.

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Feb 5, 2020 at 3:18:42 pm

All good points. Thanks.

I'm currently leaning with putting each take in a compound clip, rotating it, and then using the compound clips as my edit source.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]