FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding hours of MP4 ( H264 ) footage from gopro to be cut in FCP7 without ProRes?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith
Transcoding hours of MP4 ( H264 ) footage from gopro to be cut in FCP7 without ProRes?
on Jan 7, 2020 at 1:26:19 am

I got a few hours of gopro footage, a Mac Pro running 10.6.8 and FCP7. Rendering time for an hour of footage into ProRes 422 LT is 1 week +. Just brutal. Can't cut h264 footage as is FCP7 can't handle it. Is there an easier/faster solution?!

I also have a new macbook pro with Sierra 10.12.6 with Handbreak on it but no FCP or Compressor on that machine.

What's the best workflow for me?
Thank you thank you!

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
Re: Transcoding hours of MP4 ( H264 ) footage from gopro to be cut in FCP7 without ProRes?
on Jan 7, 2020 at 11:04:40 pm

The MacBook Pro has a hardware decoder for H.264, so you'll definitely want to use the laptop... for this kind of transcoding, have a look at EditReady:

https://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

For the same money, you could also opt for Compressor.

Doug Metz

Dalton Agency

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
Re: Transcoding hours of MP4 ( H264 ) footage from gopro to be cut in FCP7 without ProRes?
on Jan 9, 2020 at 6:22:52 am

It's not letting me buy Compressor on my Macbook Pro. ( I have an older compressor on Mac Pro that takes 8 hours to convert H264 to ProRes for every 8 min clip ).

Error: Compressor can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD” because macOS version 10.14.6 or later is required.

A screenshot of my Macbook is attached.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Jan 9, 2020 at 7:49:13 pm

I'm not sure how far you want to go, but upgrading to Mojave (10.14) would get you around that error, and you'd still retain 32-bit app functionality.

Alternatively, EditReady is definitely worth the money if you don't want to upgrade your OS just yet... but if you're willing to try something a bit more fiddly, you should also have a look at ff•Works: https://www.ffworks.net

Doug Metz

Dalton Agency

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]