FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Upgrade for FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Flaxton
Mac Upgrade for FCPX
on Dec 31, 2019 at 2:17:41 pm

I use a 12 core (2.66) mid 2010 5.1 tower, 64 gig ram Internal start up SSD's and about 12 gig standard hard drives. I work on FCPX and motion (and even slip back into legacy FCP for effects)

Time to upgrade...

I work on 4k all the time now and can run about 3/4 streams (sometimes I elect to make many layered projects such as 140 layers of HD which involves export at 444 in 4k and recapture and sometimes waiting for a while for the entire image to redraw).

So my 5.1 tower won't cut it for much more. The new mac looks like it's good for facilities who can write the cost off but as an artist I can't spend 45k. Maybe I can spend 15k and tell my partner its 10k ☺ - plus I'm in the UK so we're spending pounds for dollars....and $15k is £11k

My question is around an older 18 core imac pro (and everything in me says get something upgradeable and that's not a machine for that) or going for a lower level New Tower on the basis that apple are looking at pathways to improving rendering speed etc.

What should I do you think Is should do? I realise wait may be a possibility....

Thanks in advance

Made my first video in 1976, A long term programme maker, DP, editing etc - changing with AR/VR/MR media -

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
Re: Mac Upgrade for FCPX
on Dec 31, 2019 at 3:19:43 pm

For me there's no question that my next Mac will be the new Mac Pro; the ability to upgrade and repair/replace components is a far bigger selling point for me than anything else. You had that with your 2010 Mac Pro and you've kept it going a long time. I think the Mac Pro can be justified on a total cost of ownership basis (at least compared with other Mac options), if nothing else...I don't think you'd still be using that iMac Pro a decade from now, but you could still be using this Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
on Dec 31, 2019 at 3:50:25 pm

That's a serious point - the middle classes in the UK always say "Buy cheap, buy twice" that makes a hell of a lot of sense. I'd welcome more comments though as the plain fact is that each hardware upgrade only really delivered a few percentage points each time in user experience over the years. Yep you get a shiny new mac bit then windows caught up and had a lot of people thinking about hackintosh's at the bottom end (though this design is basically lousy - sorry but the elegance of the exterior is seriously questionable if you're really into design) after all it's a slip off cover and I wonder if Apple realised that 3rd parties will make money off customising the exterior? So I figure Apple have woken up to the old Sony adage in the 80's which was to make the best pro kit and the punters will hear the echo's of the pro's complimentary comments about that kit and buy into the brand - Apple of course have huge buy in, but punter loss is what it'll be about from now on. Sorry to drift - any comments about mid-term purchase prior to going hard core Pro?

Made my first video in 1976, A long term programme maker, DP, editing etc - changing with AR/VR/MR media -

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Dec 31, 2019 at 3:57:01 pm

Some people are reporting good results with the new Mac Mini plus an eGPU (even running DaVinci Resolve) so that may be another option to consider if it can handle what you're working with and what you're demanding of your machine. But it would be good to hear others' suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]