COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
Weirdest glitch to date....
on Dec 16, 2019 at 4:21:21 am

I gave it four dots for drama.
Just finished assembly on a feature.
Created each scene in its own project.
On a different topic, what a pain on bringing them all into one.
No merge option? Does anyone have tips?
I usually dont go this route, I always just XML to finish.
Anyhoo, one of the scenes which happen to be scene 1 seems to copy and paste in a jumbled up mess. Not a bad one but one where a few clips are not in the right spot.
Now I can understand a glitch in a copy/paste situation but the weirdest part is that the same result occurs when I recreate the whole scene then (using crop as blanking) when creating a CC out of the lot, the issues come back.
And not in a random way but exactly as it was when using copy/paste.
So strange. Only fix is yo render the first scene on its own and then render the rest and put it together after (just for review purposes) which is a lot of steps.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Weirdest glitch to date....
on Dec 16, 2019 at 12:36:54 pm

Is is possible that any of the clips in any of the timelines have different frame rates than the final project? In the event browser use list mode, right click on the column heading and add "video frame rate", then inspect those.

Once a timeline is edited, if you copy/paste the timeline to a project with a different frame rate, in some cases you may see overlaps or gaps in previously-defined edit points. This is because the rate conforming algorithm cannot maintain frame accurate edits on short clips without changing clip speed.

E.g, consider two cases: (1) You have one long 23.98 clip in a 23.98 timeline and copy/paste that to a 29.97 timeline. The duration will be almost exactly the same. (2) You do likewise with a timeline composed of many short overlapped 23.98 clips, possibly intermixed with 29.97 clips, you may see unintended gaps and overlaps.

Larry Jordan mention this here: https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcp-x-conform-different-video-frame-rates/

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 16, 2019 at 1:23:39 pm

Thanks, Joe for replying.
I checked all clips in the index > inspector.
All clips are project framerate 23.976.
I would like to say it right here that I wish all NLEs had an INDEX option.
This thing is a life/time saver.
I had a ton of screen notes to move to a specific area so did a search for "title" and select all > change y position and boom!
Such a cool option to have.
Now if I can only export info out of that to excel :)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 16, 2019 at 1:28:21 pm

I am still gushing over the INDEX.
I forgot to add that when I was looking for the GAPs created for notes, typing "gap" in the index then seeing it all appear made this to be easy peasy ;)

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Dec 16, 2019 at 3:19:40 pm

"Now if I can only export info out of that to excel :)"

DaVinci Resolve can export its timeline index (or any filter applied to it, such as an index of all your markers or a filtered set of markers) to .csv, which is really useful. I use it, for example, to generate shoot lists based on comments I've added to markers (i.e., I see areas where new footage is needed and create markers at those points in the timeline). I haven't checked to see if this works, but it would be worth exporting an XML from Final Cut and importing in Resolve to see if the info you want to export to Excel is available in the index in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 16, 2019 at 4:02:49 pm

Back to the original question. Do you have any gaps or still images in this first scene that could affect timing?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 16, 2019 at 5:21:04 pm

Thanks Oliver.
All whats used and editing style in the suspect scene is no different from the 113 scenes.
Yes, I copied and paste from each project scene to the master.
That was fun :P
I should have done a CC per scene but that ads to each step and library.
I also recreated the scene in that master and the same issue arises at final render.
It's just so weird.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:02:54 am

Adding another issue that is a first for me.
Using RETIMED on some clips that were originally SYNCED to audio.
Oh well, I guess you cant use Break Apart Clip with these clips.
I don't usually go this route with SloMo and if I do, the project is usually rendered out of FCPX.

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:03:43 am

Not sure what would make the mess, but I would love to see a before and after screen grab. I had some audio that somehow got into the primary storyline at subframes. That messed up a number of things.

On a side note, we often cut our scenes in Compound Clips then assemble them in a Project timeline for exporting.

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.11 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 17, 2019 at 3:13:45 am

[Chad Greene] "Not sure what would make the mess, but I would love to see a before and after screen grab. I had some audio that somehow got into the primary storyline at subframes. That messed up a number of things.

On a side note, we often cut our scenes in Compound Clips then assemble them in a Project timeline for exporting.
"

I will post a pic asap.
Yea I should have done that.
In the past Ive had to go into each scene and create a CC then use the CC in a master.
Time was tight this time as always, the client decided to throw a wrench in at the last hour :P

Return to posts index

Terry Barnum
on Dec 17, 2019 at 12:35:31 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Now if I can only export info out of that to excel :)"

I tried CommandPost after learning about it on another thread here and was able to export chapter markers to Excel. It might be able to export out what you need. https://commandpost.io

-Terry

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 17, 2019 at 4:58:39 pm

[Terry Barnum] "I tried CommandPost after learning about it on another thread here and was able to export chapter markers to Excel. It might be able to export out what you need. https://commandpost.io

-Terry"

Thanks!
I actually have that installed, didn't think to check that :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]