FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Color Correction?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Johnson
Auto Color Correction?
on Dec 10, 2019 at 8:30:57 pm

Hi, I am working on a short doc for one of my classes, as well as for the company it is about. When I imported all my footage everything looked and seemed fine. However, as I have finally made it to color correction, every time I attempt to change anything, it seems Final Cut has a mind of its own and decides to boost exposure, not matter what changes I make.
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this before, and if so, how can I either turn this feature off, or avoid Final Cut from making these changes.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
Re: Auto Color Correction?
on Dec 10, 2019 at 8:53:51 pm

I've never experienced anything like this.

What kind of footage are you working with, and what color correction tools are you using within Final Cut?

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Dec 10, 2019 at 9:11:16 pm

As a follow-up question are you using the color wheels/boards/curves or are you applying a LUT? LUTs will sometimes make log footage appear overexposed, especially if the original footage wasn't exposed or white-balanced properly.

If you're applying a LUT, are you applying it in the inspector, or are you applying it as a color effect (dragging the LUT effect onto the clip in the timeline)?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 10, 2019 at 9:36:06 pm

Instead of dragging LUTS onto clips, one can also create an adjustment layer above the track and make the color tweaks in there.

Return to posts index

Ben Johnson
on Dec 10, 2019 at 9:51:28 pm

Have tried this as well, just to get the same result

Return to posts index

Ben Johnson
on Dec 10, 2019 at 9:50:58 pm

I have tried using LUTs, the color board, and the wheels and get the same effect every time. My footage was Black Magic Raw that i white balanced in Resolve, then exported to just regular H.264 Rec. 709 clips to do the rest of my editing in FCP.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Dec 10, 2019 at 9:54:26 pm

Maybe try exporting the files from Resolve as Prores HQ instead of H.264.

You can still set the output color space in Resolve to Rec 709, but render the files as Prores HQ. That'll give you more latitude for color correcting, for one thing, but might also avoid the problem you're seeing. just a guess, but worth a try.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Dec 10, 2019 at 9:59:13 pm

H.264 is really a delivery codec, not a codec you want to be editing and color correcting in. Any flavor of Prores would be better.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Dec 11, 2019 at 6:55:41 am

Since you've already edited the footage, try using optimized media (rather than reimporting everything in Prores). I forget that this option exists because I only work with my own footage, and I always shoot in Prores HQ or occasionally raw. But using the optimized media option in FCPX will transcode your h.264 footage to Prores, making it much more amenable to grading.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]