FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Post Audio Work Flow - AAF File?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Orr
FCPX Post Audio Work Flow - AAF File?
on Dec 4, 2019 at 10:53:49 pm

Hello All!

I've been running into this frustrating issue with Final Cut Pro X for awhile now and have yet to find an easy solution/work flow. I'd really like to gain insight as to how other editors have felt with this issue, any advice is appreciated. I'll try to make this as short as possible.

Every time I'm working on a project Final Cut Pro X and have to send off the audio to the post audio mixer they ask me for an AAF file, which is seems is pretty standard. For some reason FCPX can't export and AAF file and then I have to go through a ton of hoops just to get the post audio person a file that they can work off. My question is, what easy solution or work around is there to get my projects audio files off to for post work??? It seems like this should be simple because this is an important part in the editing process, yet I've never been able to figure out a decent work around.

One solution I've seen is to purchase a 3rd party software called X2Pro (linked below) for $100 that transcodes your FCPX XML in to a AAF, supposedly. Now it kinda irks me and frankly is kinda embarrassing that FCPX which considers itself a "professional editing software" can't do this important task without a 3rd party purchase. Not to mention the reviews on the software are poor and I'm hesitant to gamble away $100 on something that may or may not work.
https://x2pro.net

The second solution I've found is to export the project as an XML, import it through DaVinci Resolve and then export it as an AAF through Resolve. That's great but recently I've been having issues importing the FCPX XML through Resolve 16 and it crashes on me every time I try to render it out which didn't used to happen to me...sigh. That's a whole other issue now.

Anyway, it's really frustrating that I always run into this AAF file issue when dealing with post audio and I'd really like to know how others have felt with it. I'm no post audio expert but nearly every one I've worked with asks for an AAF to work off so this seems like a very poor design on FCPX part that it doesn't accommodate it.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear how other people have dealt with this issue since I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: FCPX Post Audio Work Flow - AAF File?
on Dec 4, 2019 at 10:59:15 pm

Just buy X2Pro for $150 (don't get the LE version), export an XML from FCPX, run it through the program, send the AAF to your audio mixer. I used the program for years and never had an issue with it.

I'm not sure why it gets bad reviews on the app store, but it works great.

As to FCPX supporting it natively - that isn't going to happen, so if you need to deliver an AAF, X2Pro is the answer.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Chris Orr
on Dec 4, 2019 at 11:20:03 pm

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I'll have to take your advice and get the $150 version. I was just hoping there was a free/easier work around I didn't know about.

Do you know why FCPX doesn't allow exporting AAF? Just wondering. I'm guessing it's some competition thing...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 5, 2019 at 12:26:40 am

Another vote for X2Pro. It works very well, use it a lot.

Skip the LE version.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 5, 2019 at 3:25:04 am

Bad reviews?
Its a no brainer of an app.
Saved a few projects for me and a few colleagues/clients.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Dec 5, 2019 at 2:58:12 pm

[Chris Orr] "Do you know why FCPX doesn't allow exporting AAF? Just wondering. I'm guessing it's some competition thing..."

I don't know why, but a lot of the internet speculation I've read is that it may have something to do with licensing fees (perhaps Apple wanted to keep them to a minimum or have no licensing fees to pay anyone so they could price the software lower), or perhaps Apple assumed (or knows) that the bulk of their users have no need for it.

I don't know if either of those theories is correct, but they're interesting to think about.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 5, 2019 at 3:51:53 pm

[Michael Hancock] "I don't know if either of those theories is correct, but they're interesting to think about.
"

I am going to assume that if someone else can build it, then they will allow it.
Just like how Photoshop and After Effects had a ton of plug-ins.
And if something goes awry, you can't really bug Apple about it.
Thus why the app is so cheap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]